Thermo Fans

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

cj!

Re: Thermo Fans

Post by cj! »

Well a thermo is on the cards for the Sierra. It's what it runs from the Factory with the K6A but I didn't get it so I need to source something. Space isn't such an issue so a Pull fan is the go here and the radiator is just big enough for a 16" as it is larger than what was originally in the 1.0. A shroud is needed so it seems there are a couple of options, use an aftermarket thermo and make a shroud or try and find a suitable thermo and shroud from an OEM setup.
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

OEM Shrouds = good
OEM Fans = good, but don't flow as much as a QUALITY aftermarket unit.

There's a hell of a difference between electrically cooling a road engine and whats required for a hard worked 4WD IMO.

One of the key components for electric fans is still missing from the aftermarket - a proper variable speed controller so the fans not full on or off but modulates as required. Built one for Ford yonks ago and it worked a treat but it was analog and i've sworn off designing analog stuff. There are units out there ( SPAL ) but they just do the job and could be so much better with a bit more design input. Factory thermal management systems are mindblowingly complex - but work extremely well so there are real gains to be made in reliability and power with accurate control.

Its on the list of projects, but till the dyno software and hardware is complete, it will just have to take a back seat. :roll:
Jaffa

Post by Jaffa »

What are peoples opinions on running a thermo as well as a the standard engine fan? Ive been told, yes it will be good for low rev/low speed crawling, and, no it will stop the engine fan drawing as much air through the radiator.

I am remounting my radiator further forward so I can run the engine fan, after having issues with my old thermo dieing on a hill climb that (along with a faulty radiator cap) caused the top tank of the radiator to explode. But I will still have room (with a tiny amount of cutting) to fit my new thermo in too.

Setup I have is 1.6 carby motor, standard vitara viscous clutch engine fan, standard vitara radiator and fan shroud and near new Davies Craig 16?inch thermo fan, car is already wired to control the thermo fan auto/on/off in a Sierra.

If I do use the thermo, I can either mount it more on the drivers side roughly inline with engine fan, or more on the passengers side behind the radiator shroud. Which side would be better. (I cant mount it in the middle without removing the bonnet lock)

Opinions?

Cheers,
Brendan
zookstir

Post by zookstir »

After driving soft sand in very hot weather in the Big Desert in my stock engine Sierra last November, and having the temp gauge nudging the red zone, I've been considering a similar action. ie. mounting a dash toggle switch controlled electric "push" fan between the grill and radiator. As with you Brendan, not sure of the pros and cons. Like, will the positioning of another fan in front of the radiator impede the normal "pull" air flow of the engine fan?

Bruce.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I would investigate fitting a vitara viscous fan Zookstir - they are much larger.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

My Vit has a viscous fan and an electric...is that normal?
or an auto thing?
Or after market?

christover
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
cj!

Post by cj! »

Air con?
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

cj! wrote:Air con?
yes, that makes sense, it does come on when I switch on ac
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

gwagensteve wrote:I would investigate fitting a vitara viscous fan Zookstir - they are much larger.

Steve.
I'll add to this- if the vitara fan isn't enough you really need the additional thermo on a temp switch, not a manual switch. It's too easy to forget and leave it off- a critical system like cooling shouldn't rely on you looking at a gauge and turning a switch on.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
zookstir

Post by zookstir »

Thanks for your valued input Steve.

Bruce.