Gembrook State Forest - 21-March-2010

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

Greg

Re: Gembrook State Forest - 21-March-2010

Post by Greg »

Has anyone got a phone number for Grumpy Marty?

Or do we know what his surname is?

Or should i just put down G.Marty on the form?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Righteo...

We are all sorted.

See you all at 9am in Gembrook (i.e. leaving Gembrook at 9am).

Don't call me at 9:10am to say that you are in Healsville.

We will fill in our paperwork and pick up the keys on the way out of town.

Please Note:
I have had a few questions regarding passengers - there are no problems with bringing along anyone you like (per normal trips)...

Cheers,
Greg
porter.8.luke

Post by porter.8.luke »

Is there room for one more truck?
Its not a sukuki but i need to get out on to some tracks!!

Luke.
Luke
Phantomzook

Post by Phantomzook »

GRUMPY MARTY
Also known as Martin Pendry
Mobile 0402 628 095

He just rang me to find out where Gembrook is. :lol:
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

what a great day...

-marty found gembrook
-callum lost my fuel cap
-i learnt how to air down my tyres properly
-harley finished off his panel work using his tyres
-The whole group of zooks unwittingly stopped right in the middle of a major dirt road next to two motor bike cops. AND, no one got canaried!!!!! i call safety in numbers our saving grace. I don't think they could be bothered to defect at least 4 or 5 of the vehicles there!
-wasps are baaaad. Callum won the bite count with a mighty 15 bites counted! Hardcore!
-Steve took some paint off his GV
-I nearly reversed into Graeme sorry mate
-Luke finally found us
-We lost Lloyd and GVsteve
-BFG Crawlers are too cool for skool
-Swampers can do anything BFGs can.....at the right pressures!
-Mitch makes hardtop sierra's cool again
-raw fuel down the intake of an LJ does wonders!
-Matt won the dirt road drifting award. that little sierra hangs it out with the best of them!
-Oh ye faithful Leader actually made it to the start point today

Definitely more stories to come out of today. Double Thanks to Greg for putting in the time to organise the trip and spotting me up the rock...some great advice given! Thanks also to Mitch for spotting me up the rock too...You guys are expanding my horizons when it comes to traction.

Cheers ;)
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

it was a good day, started with a few easy trails then got serious after lunch, lost a little more paint off my shiny GV and heard all sorts of new metallic grinding sounds coming from under the car, got stuck a few times but with some expert guidance, and no winching/towing, eventually made it through, surprised at what a fairly stock GV can do but I think rocky tk and robertsons would be about its absolute limit, if it was wet then I'd still be there.

A big thankyou to Greg for running the day and to all those who helped me through the tricky bits, you were all great help.

here's a cool shot . . . . of the new club t-shirt

and no, the GV didn't try this, I went up the chicken track to the right.
Last edited by steve125 on Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Were you guys on the same trip as me????

I was going to log on this morning and appologise for the lamest trip ever, but Dan and Steve125 have made is sound like it was an awesome day out.

For me i think the hilight of the day was Rocky Track. First up was spotting Matt through the washout at the bottom of the hill with open diffs. And secondly was spotting dan up through the rocks - it's always good to get a driver to the point that they have given up, and then get it right after that... it's very rewarding for the driver, and the spotters i think.

On the plus side, after all the hard work, the MVO access all worked out. So fingers crossed it will be just as easy to organise for future trips to other areas (i.e. snow trips).

My new air line held. But then on the way home i disintegrated my 6 week old serpentine belt... go figure.
nosdivad15
Financial Member

Post by nosdivad15 »

Hi all I had a fantastic day as well, thanks to Greg for organising, Dank and Harley for having me in their cars (no doubt weighing them down) and to Steve for showing us the old Rankins Tk (it was really cool), and then punishing us for coming by releasing the wasps on Harly, Dan and Myself Haha joking.

Below is a letter that I have drafted up to send to Parks and 4WD Vic for helping get the access that we got, please read and suggest if anything else should be put in, thanks Cal

Hello Suzuki 4WD Club of Victoria
8 Wills street
Glen Iris

On behalf of the Suzuki 4WD Club of Victoria I would like to thank you for allowing us the opportunity to use the MVO Access tracks on Sunday 22/03/10, we had a very enjoyable day and it was great to get in and drive a few of the old favourites.

This day wouldn’t have been possible without the key, and opportunity given to us through both Parks and 4WD Victoria. This is a relationship that is highly valued in the club and I speak for all of us when we pass on our sincere gratitude for the day.

In future if there is any further help required to do track work and grading or just some extra hands required, please don’t hesitate to contact the club and we will all be more than happy to assist.

We hope that this can go forward to building a stronger relationship between the club Parks and 4WD Victoria, and allow for more future access into these areas, as the taste that we had was highly valued in the club yesterday and the smiles on everyone faces really said it all.

So again thank you for the opportunity.

Kind Regards
Callum Davidson, Secretary
Greg

Post by Greg »

goodness Callum... it's a bit dressed up isn't it ;)

looks good though. certainly it will do the job intended.

that said - i don't think i will go through the process again in a hurry to get onto the tracks at gembrook. i didn't find much stuff there worth driving.
nosdivad15
Financial Member

Post by nosdivad15 »

True but I had a good day it was good to see Rankins Tk what a piece of work that Tk is