Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

andrew_wale

What Winch to buy???

Post by andrew_wale »

G'day

Now I have a 4WD that can fit a winch.
Can anyone recommend a winch to buy.

The Bull Bar is the ARB combination bar that is designed for the XD9000 WARN Winch.
I know the WARN winches are top of the line, but are there cheaper ones that perform just as well.

The winch will not be used all of the time but I want something that is relaiable and if it gets full of mud, it will still work etc.

Any suggestions :?: :?:

Re: What Winch to buy???

Post by jtraf »

what about one of the Warn Magnum 9000 range. I know these are a cheaper range at arb but still a warn at the end of the day.
andrew_wale

Post by andrew_wale »

jtraf wrote:what about one of the Warn Magnum 9000 range. I know these are a cheaper range at arb but still a warn at the end of the day.
Definitely something to think about..
cj!

Post by cj! »

Have a look at these http://www.tigerz11.com.au/
andrew_wale

Post by andrew_wale »

cj! wrote:Have a look at these http://www.tigerz11.com.au/
Thanks.

I will look into this one.. A few people have also recommended the Tigerz11 Winch.
Sounds like this is where Kevin's money is going when I get it. :? :?

Post by joey hall »

Tigerz11 = joey's bought one have a chat to him
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

8000 high mount. Not a winch... possibly the only winch- if you're sure you need a winch.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

For starters, any winch that gets full of mud is going to have issues....some deal with it better than others.

High mounts are cool winches...

I'd go a highmount on my zook if it didn't weigh 50kgs. For a jeep it would be marginally more justifiable.

A low mount tigerz11 12000lb is physically similar in size to a warn xd9000. A tigerz11 12000lb with rope comes in around 26-27kgs inc control box and cabling. These sell for $799 currently free ship.

I've had a ARB magnum/Warn Tabor 9000lb on my zook for around 3 years of use when it was actually running. (4 yrs inc 1 year sitting in garage without motor)

I installed a 4.6hp warn motor onto it when the original motor blew due to lack of maintenance by previous owner. The only reason I installed a winch was at the time I only wheeled with patrols...who always seemed to get stuck.

I rate the Tabor as one of the better winches out there in respect to price, quality and availability. The only gripe is the shitty little clutch lever switch that is almost impossible to turn espeically in muddy very cold conditions. this is easily fixed by fitting an xd9000 clutch lever, just drops right in. Other thing to consider is lack of drum sealing against water/mud/dust etc.

So you need to maintain it, IE install a breather into the motor seal up the drain holes (TIP = Jeeps mount their winches differently to GQs, Cruisers etc Make sure the motor drain holes are located on the bottom of the winch otherwise water gets in and can't get out again sure fire way to send the motor to warn heaven in the express lane), end of the trip spool out rope and wind in again to heat up motor to dry out internals, pull it out and grease once a year.

The tabor comes in at a touch above $1000 dependent on where you look. only $200 more than a tigerz. So definitely a contender which comes with the warn reputation and parts and warranty backup.

Some food for thought :mrgreen:
andrew_wale

Post by andrew_wale »

Thanks for this information.

I have looked at the Warm Magnum. It comes with the smaller clutch leaver as you mentioned.
This could be a pain in muddy or wet conditions. bit it is cheaper than the XD9000.

No matter what winch I get I will still have to save up.
There are some many to choose from now.
It will come down to price & availability of parts.

I like the sound of the Tigerz11 12000 as it is cheaper and I have been told parts are readily available.
But then the WARN winches have been around for years and are well and truly tried and tested.

The wrangler will always be an on going project as there are so many add on I want to get.

Thanks
cj!

Post by cj! »

Dan, why don't you create a tech thread about winches and maybe how to mod them (breathers, etc.) and maintenance tips. I'm sure can can get pics from work ;) Would be great as a reference.

Andrew, I've been to Pauls (Tigerz) place and yes he does keep a fairly good range of parts readily available just so you know but it will never compare to the Australia wide availability of Warn parts. This may or may not be of importance to you. Dan deals with all this stuff so his advice is worth taking on board.