Blue Rag Range Track 21-23 November (Updated)

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

Mike57
Financial Member

Blue Rag Range Track 21-23 November (Updated)

Post by Mike57 »

We seem to have enough interest in the Blue Rag track to make this worthwhile. I have now scheduled it for November.

The plan is this:
We drive down to Dargo on a Friday afternoon (about 4 to 5 hours). Spend an evening at the Dargo pub and stay in the pub cabins or the motel next door or camping for those that prefer to do it more cheaply. I think there is a camping option about 10km away on the river. All participants to make their own arrangements.
On the Saturday at around 8.00 am we head down to Talbotville and then via the Bassalt Knob track up to the Blue Rag Track. (guessing this will take about 3 hours).
If the weather is clear we will drive along Blue Rag track and take in the secenery (about an hour if we do this).
Then we head back down Bassalt Knob track but turn off onto Brewery track.
From there, depending upon the time of day there are a number of tracks we could take into the Wonnangatta Valley.
The plan will be to make it as far as the Wonnangatta Valley to camp Saturday night but if we don't get that far then we could end up at Eaglevale or even back at Talbottville. We need to leave that flexible depending upon the time and conditions.
We then head out via Zeka Spur and Licola and back to Melbourne on the Sunday. The time we get back to Licola will depend upon how far we got on the Saturday.

There are two issues that can determine which route we take:
The first is the level of the rivers. I have not been up that way in November before so I will need to check the river levels the week beforehand
The next issue is the condition of the tracks and the amount of rain at the time.

I will call the rangers in the weeks before the trip and attempt to provide more details about the route.

Just one more issue as I mentioned at the meeting, it will ne necessary for most cars to carry additional fuel. Fuel is available at Dargo and then again at Licola. When I have more time I will work out the total distance. As a guide I will do this easily with an additional 20 litres. Probably the same for most of the Sieras. I can carry an extra 40 litres in case some-one else has a shortage.

Also check your cooling systems. You don't want to break down or have an overheating engine on this trip.

Preliminary List of Attendees:
Mike - Jimny (Confirmed)
Wayne - Siera
Richard - Siera (Confirmed)
Christover - Vitara (Probably confirmed)
Poz - Jimny (Probably confirmed)
Pezz - Siera
Tony - Landcruiser (Confirmed)
Louis - GV
neofitou - Jimny

Mike
Last edited by Mike57 on Tue 22 Jul, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
2009 Manual Jimny
christover1
Financial Member

Re: Blue Rag Range Track - EOI

Post by christover1 »

November is possible for me.
May is not.
(Camper Trailer forum put on a trip just for me, so I better go :) )
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
pezz

Post by pezz »

Interested seeing i wont be going on my high country trip next month
Poz93

Post by Poz93 »

You've got my interest! Might have to prove myself and do a bit more of practice on these rocky tracks but it isn't too hard so far!

Enjoy the long weekend everyone!
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

OK so I will put some more effort into this. Looks like the tracks don't close until 13 June so I will call the pub and the rangers next week. Might be more interesting if there is a little snow anyway.
2009 Manual Jimny
luigi
Financial Member

Post by luigi »

Hi Fellas.
Hi Mike. Sounds like fun to me. I am interested also.
Regards, Wayne.
Richardnclark
Financial Member

Post by Richardnclark »

Hi Mike, I'm very keen to do this + Talbotville tracks. Early winter will be very cold up there. Early spring would be best for me but I will have to fit in with my regular Tassie trips. Cheers Richard
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

So we will make this happen in November especially now that the snow has come early. We can discuss at the next meeting to work out the best date. My thinking now is to wait until the warmer weather and camp at Talbotville. This adds flexibility and lowers cost. Still not sure if it will be 2 days or an option for 3 days. Ideas welcome.

Mike
2009 Manual Jimny
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

I like the sound of warmer weather. I rather cold today.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
Mike57
Financial Member

Re: Blue Rag Range Track 22-24 November

Post by Mike57 »

I have updated the first post with some details of the dates.

Interest so far is from:

Mike - Jimny
Wayne - Siera
Richard - Siera
Christover - Vitara
Poz - Jimny
Pezz - Siera
Tony - Landcruiser (but he needs to join the club first!)
2009 Manual Jimny