suspension

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

koucoul65

suspension

Post by koucoul65 »

Hi guys ,how are you? I just bought a 2012 gv sport ;very happy with it,but i do venture off road and the clearance is a bit of concern.I am looking at getting a lift kit. I am new in the game.so a bit of advise to what to look at would be appreciated
steve125
Financial Member

Re: suspension

Post by steve125 »

If you're going offroad, first you need some tyres, get another set of rims and some 245/75 16 mud terrains of your choice. This is the biggest tyre that will fit easily, and no, you don't need lift to fit big tyres.

Next get some Ironman under body protection plates.

Last of all, put a lift kit in, give Dan at KPD4x4 (0428 292 839) a call, KPD can supply a Dobinsons lift which is the way to go for new GVs.

steve125
koucoul65

Post by koucoul65 »

Thank you Steve125,the first thing i looked at was the underbody guard ,but after speaking to a friend,he told me that the underbody protection is a mud collector. I liked the idea of it,but another opinion would be really usefull
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

There's no way you can lift a new GV enough to avoid using underbody guards. The GV suspension can't be lifted more than about 40mm if I recall correctly, which will only make a marginal difference to clearance. Larger tyres add clearance and traction, so that's a double win.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

I find my skid plates are preventing mud getting into transfer, motor and auto.
Plus it slides over things, that it used to get stuck on.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

I've got a Brown Davis plate (the Ironman is better, has greater coverage) and mud has never been a problem and I've had it MUDDY. And Chris is right, the plate keeps more mud out than it traps plus it lets you slide over stuff. So, tyres first, plate a close second then lift a distant third.

koucoul65

Post by koucoul65 »

Hi guys & thank you for the use full information. I fitted the ironman underbody kit yesterday & it looks like is going to work well. Had some little hick ups fitting it since there was no hole for the sump plug so i drilled a 50mm hole & made a cover plate,apart from that ,easy to install. One issue i have now is the cabin noise. It feels that i have a sub woofer under the car & i can hear all running parts under the car echoing . Is that normal & are there any solutions?
koucoul65

Post by koucoul65 »

Sorry guys. My gv sport has 17 '" tires ,not 16. What should i be looking for in the market? Cheers
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Have a think about running a second set of 16" rims for off road use, that way you can keep your 17" rims looking good and enjoy the handling and quiet of a road tyre on road.

16" rims can be purchased quite cheaply.

16" rims fit all models regards of what rims they were originally fitted with.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

+1 on the spare set of rims.

Yes, the extra noise from the bash plate is normal. Just put some mud terrain tyres on it. The noise from the tyres will drown out the noise from the bash plate.