Creepy Krawlers

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

lbzook
Financial Member

Creepy Krawlers

Post by lbzook »

Post AT, and I'm craving some more rubber!

After spending three days watching Greg, Steve and Luke dominate everything they looked at I'm even more set on going big and wide.
Now, I'm well aware of the ramifications and work involved in going to a tyre of this sort of size, but thats not the info/opinions that I'm after here.
I know theres are a few guys on Krawlers that work very well, and now Luke on creepies who excelled on AT. Being that these are (correct me if I'm wrong) two of the most used comp tyres, I figure that in terms of performance built rubber, its a pretty good place to look.

My junk is not road driven apart from to and from the bush.
I'm thinking Krawlers in 35x13.5 or Creepies in 35x12.5
Both manufacturers claim a true 35", with the Krawlers overall width (when mounted on a 10" rim) 13.8", and Creepies overall width measuring 13.5"
In terms of phisical size, I see the difference to be negligible.

Basically I want to know if there is any reason that Creepies havnt been run before (excluding Luke)?
Where Krawlers a matter of convienience? Or did you guys seek them out?
Is there any point, or reason that one would, should or does outperform the other?
Or is the descision more about which one i can find a set of for a reasonable price?

Any info or advice that you guys could give would be great!

Cheers
Leigh
sierrajim

Re: Creepy Krawlers

Post by sierrajim »

We ran the creepies on the buggy, 1,024kg and they worked OK. They're firm in the sidewall which does mean you need little or no air in them with a relatively light weight vehicle.

Crawlers are a LOT softer in the sidewall, therefore are probably easier to get to work under a sierra, their width is however going to make your car look more unroadworthy than it probably is.

There's a set of 35-36" LTB swampers for sale on Mudrhino that would also be an option.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I think that's a fair comment Jim. Luke's car would be pretty heavy compared to a Sierra running suzuki based diffs, and he was running something like 3 psi. The risk is that at that pressure the tyre wants to "fold" and the car becomes quite laterally unstable - it kind of "screws" sideways as the tyre flops around. This is exacerbated by the creepy being bias ply - it's more likely to fold the tread up than a radial.

I was at lindsay's tyres the day before tour and he grooves the sidewall of comp treps (same carcass) to get them to flex better.

I think it was Greg who basically wanted Krawlers to start with, and we were all convinced enough by their performance and especially their low pressure performance to follow him. Luke needed 37's for his gearing to work but had 15" rims, so the creepy was the only tyre he could choose. (Nobody else really does a 37 on a 15" rim that's readily available)

I think the Creepy's would have superior rut performance due to their sidewall grip and rigidity, but the krawlers will find more traction in the dry due to increased stability, compound, and soft sidewall. There's no such thing as a perfect tyre though. The Krawlers are very nice to drive on the road.

A couple of notes though. Creepy's crown really badly on 8" rims. They sat nice and flat on Lukes car, but that's on a rim that's nearly 11" wide. That's not practical for a road driven car/suzuki in my opinion. Note also that 35" Krawlers are getting hard to find and are quite expensive.

Then there's the rim debate. If you're willing to buy new, premium tyres like Creepys/Krawlers, you're going to be up for 8" rims and are going to need beadlocks. This raises the possibility of going to a 17" rim and something like a 35 12.5 17 LTB or Pitbull Rocker. 17's allow more brake clearance, (for 2.0 vitara brakes, for example) make the tyres look smaller, and the off the shelf 17X9" beadlock rims often run more backspacing for more inside-edge-of-the-rut grabbing power.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
lbzook
Financial Member

Post by lbzook »

So much food for thought!

A good point you've made about rim size Steve, how much backspacing would it be possible to run, on a NT front end before the springs came into play again?
Is it possible to push the springs inboard further to allow more clearance? Or is the pumpkin a restricting factor?

Jim, it doesnt seem like you where super impressed with how they performed on the buggy, which is a comprable wight to a swb sierra?
I guess getting the sidewalls on Creepies regrooved could remove some of their stiffness, but then theres still the crowning issue.
Did you guys have an inside source for getting Krawlers? I dont think I've come across a second hand set for sale, ever.
As for pitbull rockers, I had never seen them before, but they are a whole bunch of awesome!
As for swampers, how have you found their perfomance when compared to the width of the Krawlers?

Thanks heaps for the info guys!
Got a lot of research (and saving!) to do I think!

Cheers
Leigh
Brendan Sheedy

Post by Brendan Sheedy »

What do you guys think of mudzillas for a sierra I was thinking
33/13-5/15 bias
mika
Financial Member

Post by mika »

I've inquired about pitbull rockers. Expect to pay the best part of $800 for a 35.
lbzook
Financial Member

Post by lbzook »

Ouch! That's fairly obscene considering that they cost lest than $400 locally in the states! Not looking to offload your krawlers are you mika? ;)
mika
Financial Member

Post by mika »

lbzook wrote:Ouch! That's fairly obscene considering that they cost lest than $400 locally in the states! Not looking to offload your krawlers are you mika? ;)
Maybe, someone has already expressed interest in them though.
lbzook
Financial Member

Post by lbzook »

Well if their interest fades then let me know. Out of interest how much would you want for the set? Pm me if you like
Greg

Post by Greg »

The krawlers idea spawned from reading 4 wheel off-road magazine where they road tested a new bf goodrich tyre on their ultimate adventure.

Sitting at the back on the convoy with Luke for most of the 3 days, he spent a lot of time wishing they were softer.