Height-challenged XL-7

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

SuziQuatro

Height-challenged XL-7

Post by SuziQuatro »

Hi All,
I have a 2001 XL-7 and it is a fantastic tourer but is a little challenged in the ground clearance department.

I want to lift it but am trying to get my head around the new laws regarding max lift. Is it correct that you can now only lift the suspension to a max of 50mm and another 50mm in the tyres/wheels?
This would then make the Calmini kit that I was considering [2.5inch] illegal?? I have also heard mixed reports on these kits - are they any good??
The other option for Suzi is a set of Tough Dog shocks and springs with an approx. 40mm lift. [Not much of a lift but apparently very good spring rates over the standard springs].
This would mean larger tyres/wheels to help increase clearance [and get the diff a bit further off the ground]. The question is - what's the biggest tyre size that will fit; without any mods to guards, etc.??

I am hoping there are other XL-7 drivers out there who have done this already and can shed some light. [and any one else, of course]

Thanks,
Gary.
Matthew
Financial Member

Re: Height-challenged XL-7

Post by Matthew »

According to this you're allowed a total of 75mm of lift, 50mm in the springs and 50mm bigger tyres.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Unfortunately, I dont think I have ever heard anyone say good things about calmini suspension packages (sierras / vitaras).

Perhaps you should try ARB? They tend to see good quality / highly recommended suspension components. I'm not sure if they do one for the XL7 though.
SuziQuatro

Post by SuziQuatro »

Thanks Guys,

It seems that the Calmini kit is now out of contention, based on bad reports and current laws. ARB don't do a kit so I will probably go with a 40mm lift [Tuff Dog springs and shocks] from 4wd1in NSW, unless anyone has any better ideas.

I would also like to come along on one of the club's trips. Reading the guidelines regarding minimum equipment needed [fire extinguiser, snatch strap, first aid kit and rated shackles] I am wondering if the standard recovery points on the vehicle are going to be strong enough to attach the shackles or will I need to upgrade these?

Thanks again,
Gary.
Greg

Post by Greg »

i think you need to find another XL7 owner to find out about their suspesions setups Gary.

There are several members on this forum that would be in a better position to answer your questions that me:

www.auszookers.com

Regarding the recovery points - most of us still run our stock recovery points. These tend to me adequate due to the light weight of the suzuki vehicles. We also tend to be pretty sensible with our snatch recoveries on club trips to try to ensure we are not damaging the cars or ourselves. In other words - I expect yours will be fine - but you might choose to upgrade them in the future.

cheers,
Greg
SuziQuatro

Post by SuziQuatro »

Thanks Greg, I'll have a look at that forum.
Recovery points - I have seen a 'thingy' that fits in the towbar, in place of the usual tounge. Looks like a good idea for now and upgrade later.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I know the thingy you are referring to. Good idea. Just make sure you get a rated one.

Better to spend a bit more money once, instead of a little less twice.

If you are near an ARB store, I would recommend them as a good supplier for all your recovery gear. They aren't cheap, but the quality is all very high.

How about coming to a meeting to see some of our rigs in person? You'll get to see the straps and shackles we carry as examples before you go shopping.

Cheers.
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

I can help you with Suspension.

I have been supplying a lot of Dobinson suspension products for vitaras over the last couple years with excellent results. Dobinson say they give around 30mm lift but in reality most people have found it to be in the 30-40mm area.

I see 4wd1 has XL7 struts in the front at $700 a pair. That is an amazing rip off for struts.

Retail price on Dobinsons struts is $220 each. Christover on this forum runs them and has been happy with them. I can offer you better pricing than pretty much anywhere. Better pricing doesn't necessarily mean worse quality in the case of XL7 suspension.

If you want Tough Dog right off the bat I can give you the struts for $290 each as a ball park figure. If you want to have a chat with me my number is 0428 292 839 and you can visit www.kpd4x4.com to get an idea of my company.

Ok enough of the sales pitch, if you want some lift, a few guys are running the 30/40mm dobinson struts, shocks and coils and then flipping the strut top mount which gives around an extra inch and then running a coil spacer in the rear, or in the case of a regular vitara they run an XL7 rear coil. so up around the true 50mm lift mark.

The limiting factor on droop is the strut, there is no lower bumpstop, so the long the strut the better, to a point, as you don't want your CV angles getting too crazy, if you want to go higher then i think there are some brackets to drop the front diff down which helps with this. There is not much you can do with compression travel as there is a bumpstop that controls this...i know people who have shaved this stop down to gain a little more compression travel but its not much so probably not worth doing.

hope that helps. Any questions feel free to call me.
Dan
Brad.Jones
Financial Member

Post by Brad.Jones »

I got the EFS kit fitted to my 2003 GV. Which I think dank can get for you as well.
http://www.efs4wd.com.au/suzukivitara.html

Still hasn't got anywhere near the clearance of a sierra or the like and still gets hung up on the larger items pretty easily.
But for driving the milder stuff like say in the High Country it made a huge difference, said a lot less swear words going over rocks etc.
Brad Jones - Analyst - http://www.kdis.com.au - 0407 961 903
2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara - 1988 Suzuki Sierra
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

Yeah EFS actually has the best warranty, but Dobinsons offer a little more lift. Not Sure on Tough Dog as I've never supplied it, most people think it's too pricey with the other options on the market.