Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

narby pub publican

10th Sep 2011 - Narby medium to hard day trip

Post by narby pub publican »

TRIP TITLE:
Narby day trip

TRIP DATE:
Saturday 10th September 2011 (Just before they dry up)

TRIP DESCRIPTION:
I live in Narby and know the tracks really well and even get rooftop maps asking to meet with me to discuss errors. Most people I show around ask for my phone number for next time. I can fill you in on history of the area to, like show you an area of the bush where bank robbers buried their 100 000 pound loot 100 years ago and it's never been found.

The best thing is when I'm walking the dog on a real hard track and there's a strandard convoy of big Patrols struggling to get themselves out and I'm just walking the dog through there. It's fun to watch.

I'll take you on tracks that you probably haven't done before and none of them are seasonally closed. I could've run this in Autumn, except with them not being seasonally closed, I figured you'd all prefer to do them in Winter and my Sierra's been off the road for the last couple of months.

Let's just say it's big cars version of hard. My 80 struggles on a lot of these tracks and I've lost count of the number of people who've knocked on my door and said that they're stuck and ask for me to go and get them out of these tracks.

There's one track that not even 36 Simex Patrols can get up. It's got a 2wd road parallel to it as a chicken track. I'll leave that up to you.

There's a couple of boggy tracks with chicken tracks around every medium or large size bog and gravel roads running parallel to them again. I haven't seen anyone block their radiators in these bogs.

A big long steep greasy hill that big cars with Simex's and diff locks can't normally get up in the wet with a medium track running parallel to it meeting at the top. It doesn't involve ground clearance.

A technical hill that requires good wheel placement with an overgrown chicken track or otherwise, just go 500 metres up the highway and turn right and it comes out at the top.

A steep 100 metre rutted hill with large tree routes to climb over with an overgrown chicken track.

Since the fires, Woods Lookout has been closed, but it's open again. Depending on time, I may take you up that. I think most of you know of that one.

So spoilt for choice.

TRIP LOCATION:
Narbethong.

TRIP RATING:
Medium to hard. Chicken tracks for most things.

TRIP MEETING POINT:
Black Spur Inn at Narbethong 8:30am for 9:00 departure.
Breakfasts start at 8:00 if you want one.
The coffees are to die for if you want one. They're so good that I've got a 500ml soup mug I use.
(You guys have to get up early and I can sleep in and walk downstairs)

I'll try and finish here to and turn on my 240 volt compressor for you and get a bucket of soapy water and clean our number plates and lights and mirrors and things so the cops don't book us.

ATTENDEE LIST:
James - Sierra (Drover)
Greg - Sierra
Chris - Vitara
Mika - Sierra
Dank - Sierra
Steve - Sierra
Steve - Sierra
Jonno - Sierra
Noel - Sierra
Last edited by narby pub publican on Fri 09 Sep, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Greg

Re: 10th Sep 2011 - Narby medium to hard day trip

Post by Greg »

comon guys - James is a newbie to the club and this is his first trip so lets make sure we give him plenty of feedback / encouragement nice and early :)

James - i'm keen - just have to check the calendar situation for september.

Dare i ask - do you have space down the back of your shed for people to store doors and roofs for the day?
mika
Financial Member

Post by mika »

Put me down for this
narby pub publican

Greg wrote:comon guys - James is a newbie to the club and this is his first trip so lets make sure we give him plenty of feedback / encouragement nice and early :)

James - i'm keen - just have to check the calendar situation for september.

Dare i ask - do you have space down the back of your shed for people to store doors and roofs for the day?
Yep I do and in an urgent situation and someone can't drive home, I'll see if the hoist is free, but no promises.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Thats my birthday :)
Can't think of a better way to spend it.
I'm keen.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
narby pub publican

christover1 wrote:Thats my birthday :)
Can't think of a better way to spend it.
I'm keen.
Funny you say that.

When people are in Narby four wheel driving for their birthdays, normally I tell them to get their cars dirty and take it to the water tanks up the back when they're finished and I'll get the high pressure cleaner out and wash the car for them.

It's my birthday present for them.

So I'll have to do the same thing for you.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Excellent, best birthday ever :)
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
Greg

Post by Greg »

Calendar processing complete. Put me down as a goer - and in for coffee action too
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

if zook is running I'll be there
sierrajim

Post by sierrajim »

damn Saturday trips :(