Adventure Tour 2009

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Adventure Tour 2009

Post by gwagensteve »

Thanks eveyone for attending the meeting last night, especially at such short notice.

Current plans look like this:

Saturday - Gembrook - Trip leader - Greg
Sunday - Labertouche - Trip Leader - Daryl
Monday - Yarra State Forest (Warburton)- Trip Leader - Me.

I will be researching accommodation options in Noojee for both nights. There's some cabins etc.

Details will follow.

Cheers,

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I think it's pretty safe to assume this trip is cancelled/postponed.

Even on the VERY slim chance I have a car left to drive, I don't think there's going to be very good access to anything for the next few weeks/months, quite apart from clearing fallen timber etc.

I'm happy for someone else to run something in somewhere that's going to look less like a moonscape (so possibly on the moon :D ) and I may even passenger for a day or something, but at this stage, I'm not going to be organising anything for a little while.

Sorry for any dissapointment, I'm sure you understand.

Greg was talking about the Otways or Wombat as possible alternative sites.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

Under the circumstances Steve, I'm certain everyone understands and would do the very same thing.
Greg

Post by Greg »

gwagensteve wrote:Greg was talking about the Otways or Wombat as possible alternative sites.
at this rate we might be putting on the street slicks and touring tasmania...

we will definately be tough with enforcing the fire extinguisher this year. and i'm thinking that forcing everyone to carry 20L of water could be smart too - if only for the cars overheating.

one good thing if this trip is delayed - it will mean Ross will be able to get his junk going in time :D
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

Greg wrote:one good thing if this trip is delayed - it will mean Ross will be able to get his junk going in time :D
Ah yes...... it will need to be a substantial delay...... I've got that much work based work that the other million item list seems
to be getting nowhere.

Front diff/locker.... very slow progress, but moving
Front and rear guards.... almost no progress ( Bill has borrowed my Jeep flares for his pet project.... so paused )
Engine...... well slow progress, nowhere near ready to transplant but its been mindblowing on the dyno. That's SOME engine..... making me rething front brakes :oops:
Tyres.... until the above are resolved won't fit and can't "pull" them so......
Greg

Post by Greg »

Steve and I had a bit more a chat about "The Tour" for 2009.

We are thinking that we will still have a trip. It might not be 3 days, but it will at least get us all doing something that we (steve in particular) would like to be doing this time of year.

Possible ideas or 3 days worth of fun could be: Wombat, then Paddy's Swamp, then Cape Otway...

Any other ideas? Let us know.

If only we had someone in the club that had been to all 3 of these places and knew the terrain... someone that had a car that could never "reasonably" be expected to be completed in time... someone with a first name of Ross.

Another silly idea could be a 3 day adventure on a lesser scale - we get a car that belongs to a club member... thrash on it in the shed for 1 day, then drive it somewhere (not too) hard on the following day.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Adventure Tour Update

A good discussion was had at the meeting regarding this year's activities for the Adventure Tour.

The concensus was as follows:
1. it is going to be weeks / months / years before we are able to drive in the locations we had been planning to drive due to the bushfires, and the expected subsequent closures that will occur.
2. we are still keen to get out and do something - be it only a day trip, or a day trip and an overnight stay perhaps.

The probable location was determined to be one of either:
1. Cobaw - apparently not much stuff up there worth driving
2. Tallarook - we haven't worked out if this area was closed off due to fires or not - CJ was the likely navigator here
3. Wombat - no closers, possible access to Noel's house for pitching tents etc... - Noel and Steve the likely navigators
4. Otways - though this was determined to be too far to drive our junk.

Given that accomodation requirements are minimal with all of this above locations, we can finalise our trip plans very late - i.e. the week before.

So it appears either Saturday 7th, or Sunday 8th march. Most likely up into Wombat. Possibly staying at Noel's place or in the area around there.
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

If there are any spare seats can I put my hand up for one.

Matt
Greg

Post by Greg »

Matthew wrote:If there are any spare seats can I put my hand up for one.

Matt
Sorry Matt...

We have minimum standards for passengers too. ;)
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

Hmm standards you say. This is because i bought a cab chassis isn't it, or more likely because i haven't started work on it yet, oh well atleast you didn't try and kick me out of the club this time. :D