Moderator: Committee

mud_muncher

Re: 10th Sep 2011 - Narby medium to hard day trip

Post by mud_muncher »

Put me down, always keen on new tracks!
martin

Post by martin »

I am keen at this stage but my Vit needs a new timing belt fitted and am keen to have it done b4 I go on another trip, so it will come down to $$$. I will try very hard to attend but will give notice early if I cant, :roll:
Greg

Post by Greg »

martin wrote:I am keen at this stage but my Vit needs a new timing belt fitted and am keen to have it done b4 I go on another trip, so it will come down to $$$. I will try very hard to attend but will give notice early if I cant, :roll:
oh you are so going marty - even if i have to come down there and tow your car for the entire trip!
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

Not sure if it's convenient for you marty but if you want I can get a price off Cammo in Somerville to do the timing belt change?
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

This is close enough to home that I might try to get my junk going to it.

Marty - the timing belt change is pretty straightforward. Other than making sure you don't move the crank and cam relative to each other. It is a good opportunity to change the water pump though. I don't recall any special tools being required.

When I was stuffing around with my water pump on the 660, I was getting the belt out and back in in in an hour or so.

I'd buy the parts and rip into it.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
Jonno

Post by Jonno »

I will also try to come
Brad.Jones
Financial Member

Post by Brad.Jones »

Can someone please comment as to whether or not my GV will be able to do this one or not?
If there really is chicken tracks for most things well thats fantastic but by the same token it
doesn't make much sense driving all that way just to sit on the sidelines and watch the rest do the hard stuff - as fun as that might be... :)
Brad Jones - Analyst - http://www.kdis.com.au - 0407 961 903
2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara - 1988 Suzuki Sierra
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I can't really comment on the specific tracks that James is planning on running, I would say that if James is suggesting "medium" as the starting point with hard options, I think the tracks might be a bit hard for your car.

James might be able to comment more. He has said he might have to take his 80 series and drive the chicken tracks, but his 80 is pretty similar in setup to Michael's and Chris's from the snow trip, so there's no real parallel to your car.

Another option is to ride shotgun for the day, but I accept it's a long drive just to be a passenger.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
narby pub publican

Post by narby pub publican »

Brad.Jones wrote:Can someone please comment as to whether or not my GV will be able to do this one or not?
If there really is chicken tracks for most things well thats fantastic but by the same token it
doesn't make much sense driving all that way just to sit on the sidelines and watch the rest do the hard stuff - as fun as that might be... :)
Yeah you can come if you like, but you'll have to take most of the chicken tracks, but there's still plenty of perfect medium obstacles for yours.

On the trail between obstacles that we'll be stopping at, there's obstacles that you'll need 4wd low range and low tyre pressures, so it probably won't get boring.

Most of the chicken tracks are the same, so again, you probably won't get bored, but you probably won't need many snatches either.

We'll be doing plenty of drives around a block and being back where we started in a couple of hours, so you could probably park at the bottom of a couple of these tracks depending on the weather and jump in with one of us and jump back in the car later.

So you'll still be doing fun tracks for yourself, but you may have to jump in with someone for just an hour or two at points

If you want to watch hard tracks and still be able to drive, you can't beat this trip, but yeah you'll be doing a lot more watching than driving.

James
Brad.Jones
Financial Member

Post by Brad.Jones »

Okay well all sounds fair enough put me down as coming and I'll be sure to give notice if I decide to pull out.
Might see if I can make a weekend of it and go camp the night somewhere.
I have driven through that area many a time but always on my way to somewhere else.
Brad Jones - Analyst - http://www.kdis.com.au - 0407 961 903
2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara - 1988 Suzuki Sierra