12-14 Mar 2011 - AT2011 - Reports and Photos Start Page 6

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

Greg

Re: 12-14 Mar 2011 - AT2011

Post by Greg »

Hi Team,

Well, after much discussion and negotiation, i think the current plan of attack is as follows:

Saturday - Neerim
Sunday - Labertouche / Gembrook / Powelltown
Monday - Wesburn / Warburton

Given that some of us are notorious for starting a little slow in the mornings, i think it is preferable to have the stop overs as close as possible to the starting points of the following day.

So i would propose staying Saturday night in the area between Neerim South and Labertouche, and then Sunday night in Yarra Junction.

I'm thinking Pub dinners both nights if we can swing it, and something like Van/Cabin accomodation if we can find it too.

I recall that there is also a caravan park in Neerim South for people who like to do their driving the night before on the friday.

So, as of today (6-Dec-2010), here is the plan:

Thursday (Noel only)
Spend 10 minutes getting your car moving again, charge battery

Friday (optional)
Drive to Neerim
Sleep at Caravan Park

Saturday - Neerim
Start in Neerim South (fuel is available)
Spend the day driving around Neerim (Dan - i'm hoping we can reply on you for navigation duties here)
Finish day with Pizza / Pub meal
Optional Canary from Warrigal Tog
Stay in Neerim South (pending accom options)

Sunday - Labertouche
Possible fry up brekky?
Start ??
Spend day driving around Labertouche / Gembrook / Powelltown (Dan - sorry mate - you again)
Finish day in Yarra Junction / Warburton (more food and accom in warburton)
Optional european movie viewing

Monday - Warburton
Possible fry up brekky?
Start Yarra Junction supermarket carpark
Spend day driving around Wesburn / Warburton (this area will basically navigate itself since we all know it)
Finish day at a reasonable hour (before 9:30pm) so we can all get home and get some kip before work

i think we should be able to have pretty clear starting points worked out so that late-comers can join us along the way without too much trouble.

too easy. should almost run itself now 8-)
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

Yesterday gave us some insight into dry weather wheeling up in labertouche. Labertouche at the moment has only two tracks with potential. All built rigs in the club if taking the straight forward hard lines shouldn't struggle. I think we just need to get creative and try and drive the "impossible" lines that we look at and go thats nuts...This is potentially how we can extract a good day out of Labertouche.

In Gembrook at the moment there is nothing really worth driving except the big Ruts under the powerlines and some of the powerline tracks. I'm not sure on the clubs position of driving these tracks, but there is definitely enough around there to keep us all guessing and thinking about wheel placement and more technical wheeling.

Upper Gembrook/labertouche we have Phasmid, Walkers and Woodall. Woodall is currently closed at the moment so we might need MVO access.

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources ... /map16.pdf

Well a bit of research suggests that Phasmid and walkers are only seasonally closed, so technically that should be good to go...however on the ground these gates have been shut for a long time. Access is no problem as Harley and I discovered though. Armed with the above map might be a get out of jail free card. We can get in without driving around gates.

If these tracks are available, then its a good chance to get on them. They provide the most challenge in the area by far from memory and are classics. There is Mud....all year round especially on walkers. What are peoples thoughts? I want to go and drive these tracks before the adventure tour so if anyone wants to come on a recce weekend i'll post up when I'm going out, might camp out the night.

Neerim should be fine for a cruisy start to the AT. Should be enough to keep us busy with Youngs, Hard up haul and the "fenceline" track to keep us entertained.

EDIT: The DSE website currently doesn't list any track closures in these areas.
jamhic

Post by jamhic »

Count me in guys! Looking forward to it. The bush will be a refreshing change from desert. (working at olympic dam-roxby downs all summer).
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hey Team,

Quick update on AT...

I'm scratching my head a bit trying to find some in-between type accom for us to stay at in the Neerim / Noojee / Drouin area.

The Neerim South Pub has accomodation - but it is hotel type accom - i.e. $55 for a double room sort of thing - so not really ideal.

So,

Can people please let me know which nights you are coming along for so that i can lock in some sort of number (i.e. driver + passengers)...

My plan is to find some cabin type accomodation (black spur pub equiv), but to do so, we might end up in drouin.

Anyways, the sooner the better - please let me know.

Thanks,
Greg
Gallagags
Financial Member

Re: 12-14 Mar 2011 - AT2011 - Please confirm your accom req

Post by Gallagags »

Hey mate,

I will be there on all three days, thus need acc. for Sauturday & Sunday nights, and at this stage Stevie will be riding shotgun as it is unlikely he will have enough time to fix his junk before hand.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers

Michael
Greg

Post by Greg »

Folks,

Here is the accom update:

I have called 'The Outpost' in Noojee.

They have the following:

2 Cabins that sleep 6
1 Cabin that sleeps 4
1 House that sleeps 6 (the house is 1 minute down the road)

My current plan is to book the 3 cabins as 'doubles' ($130) per night. i.e. 1 cabin for Fri, then 3 cabins for Sat and 3 for Sun. Then we will just add on $25 to the total of each as we add / subtract people. Total Cost would be averaged out.

I'm guessing about $40 per person, per night is what we are looking at.

I hope that is acceptable.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

That's fine by me Greg.

http://www.theoutpostretreat.com/The-Toolshed-Bar.html

I have stayed there and the food was fine - pub pricing, accommodation was comfortable - all good.

Steve.

Edit - just looked at the photo on the website. The guy is in a shirt with rolled up sleeves, the girls in shorts and a tee... and there's roaring fire that looks like it was lit about 5 minutes before.... wonder what time of year they took the photo? :D

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

Put me down for Saturday and Sunday. No passenger as yet....
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Team,

Ok - working on the first come best dressed theory, i have gone ahead and booked 2 cabins + 1 tentitively booked at the Toolshed.

All of the Cabins have 2 double beds and 2 single beds - i.e. they all sleep 6 people (or 3 people if singles).

Here is what i have you all down for after the meeting on Wednesday:

Mitch and Kirsty - fri, sat and sun = 2x3=6
Marty - sat = 1x1=1
James Hill - sat, sun = 1x2=2
Mick - sat, sun = 1x2=2
Johnno + 1 - sat, sun = 2x2=4
Steve G - fri, sat, sun = 1x3=3
Noel - fri, sat, sun = 1x3=3
Dank - sat, sun=1x2=2

Neo - no accomodation
Mika - no accomodation

James Hicks - you need to call me please - need your numbers and nights
Jayson - you need to call me please - need your numbers and nights

I will be calling them back on Friday 18-Feb to confirm if we need a 3rd cabin for the Sat and Sun. So if my details for you are incorrect - please get back to me before then.

The only other thing to note is the 'Fine Dining' menu is no longer available. They now only offer the food from the Toolshed (i.e. pub food).

They can supply us with breakfast provisions, or we can go to the Red Parrot - which is a cafe down the road apparently.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I've discovered I'm a little bit double booked on Friday night - I'm going to Top Gear Live.

I will see what I can do about getting up there Friday night... but it igh tbe Saturday AM or something. So depending on what I work out Noel and I might be two nights only.

I'll let you know.

PS if it's an inconvenience, I'm happy to pay for the night I said I could make.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon