Heavy Duty/Long wheel studs

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Heavy Duty/Long wheel studs

Post by gwagensteve »

Hi everyone

If you've ever been a bit concerned about the condition of your wheel studs, or you have a disc conversion and need longer studs, or have alloy wheels that require funky deep wheelnuts, these might be of some assistance:

http://www.vpw.com.au/product.asp?CatID ... rodID=1855

as far as I can work out, the knurl is the correct diameter (12.0mm) the thread is correct (12X1.5mm) and the knurl length is acceptable (around 7.0mm)

The awesomeness though is that they are uber strong, 2.8" long (a bit over 70mm) and have over 8mm of "nose" to prevent crossthreading of the wheelnut.

I'm very keen to give a set of these a try. I'll order a couple of packs and let you know how I go.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
neofitou

Re: Heavy Duty/Long wheel studs

Post by neofitou »

ooh I need these. The ones in my spacers are way too short for my alloys. I would like to see some pics when you get them please.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

There's no guarantee the studs in the spacers match the knurl diameter etc of stock sierra studs. Best to press one out and measure it up to confirm it's the same.

I've seen all sorts of studs used on spacers.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I've been doing a bit more research and in the quest for biggerbetterfastermore[i/] I'm not looking at 57mm (with lead) or 80mm long (no lead) 14mmX1.5mm Sway-A-Way VW/ race truck studs. They will require reaming out the hubs to 14mm (and drilling the rotors too) and I'll have to find the right wheelnuts, but if I have to get new studs and nuts anyway, I might was well go the next step up in strength.

The nuts and studs aren't really expensive at all, ex USA. I'll need a 14mm ream and some time though.

I'll keep researching. I'm in no hurry at the moment.

Steve.
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

steve are you sure the sierra stud pitch is 1.5? I always thought it was 1.25?

or are you upgrading? and I'm missing something?

The sierra bible on outers says its 1.25....
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

You're right Dank, it is 1.25, which is part of the reason I'm now looking at other, even stronger alternatives - if I have to buy nuts and studs, I might as well knock myself out.

Steve.