12-14 Mar 2011 - AT2011 - Reports and Photos Start Page 6

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

Greg

12-14 Mar 2011 - AT2011 - Reports and Photos Start Page 6

Post by Greg »

Reminder: Given the nature of this trip, we insist that all car/drivers be paid up club members.

Hi Team,

Well, its that time of year again where i sit down with my Petersen's UA magazine for a little read and quickly find myself thinking about our own little AT for next year.

A quick discussion with Stevie G at the club meeting on Wednesday indicated that he is going to be flat out with house-type-stuff this year over the summer period. I will take this as a green light to take over the oganising of the big event so that any spare time Stevie gets, he can spend getting his junk rolling rather than burning it on organising people, permits, accom etc.

Standard process will be used. A few weeks of open planning and discussion, followed by a lockdown of ideas, then a last minute change-of-mind and viola - AT2011 will magically appear!

General Discussion Points:
1. tracks that we have to go and drive
2. people and cars that we have to pester (encourage) into going

Quick Driver Reminder Points:
1. all drivers must be paid club members (for insurance reasons, plus we're a picky bunch)
2. passengers do not need to be paid club memebers

Quick Car Requirement Reminder Points:
This is a HARD trip. We cannot guarentee by-passes for any obsticles. Trail damage and repairs are highliy possible
Small Cars - 31" tyres + 1 locker
Big Car - 33" tyres + 2 lockers (a big car is anything that is bigger than a SWB sierra on 31s)

Quick Dates Reminder:
Saturday 12 March 2011
Sunday 13 March 2011
Monday 14 March 2011
Drivers and passengers are encouraged to stay for the whole weekend, but 1-day or 2-day attendees are always welcome.

That's about all i have to start off with. I know we are talking just shy of 6 months into the future, but once we have christmas holidays, skip the January meeting, valentines day (just for you Pete) and have wandin come and go - AT will be upon us.

Current List of Interested Parties
1. Greg
2. Dank
3. Jonno
4. Mock
5. Jim
6. Mika
7. Neo
Greg

Re: 12-14 Mar 2011 - AT2011

Post by Greg »

(clearly i am the only one with enthusiasm)

Questions to be answered:

Luke - Mt Worth - is it up the the standards of AT?

Dank - Labertouche - the rocky track there was the goods. do you think we can piece together enough terrain in that area to make it worth a visit?
Mock

Post by Mock »

Im in!

Granton link track in Toolangi is a good one :lol: :lol:

Mock :mrgreen:
mugginsmoo welding grinding sanding painting my old shit in melb
mika
Financial Member

Post by mika »

i definately wanna be on this trip, planning on having my sierra ready for it :D
happy to help with organising, etc if neeeded.
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

Greg wrote:(clearly i am the only one with enthusiasm)

Questions to be answered:

Luke - Mt Worth - is it up the the standards of AT?

Dank - Labertouche - the rocky track there was the goods. do you think we can piece together enough terrain in that area to make it worth a visit?
mr greg, I reckon we can defintely hook up some tracks worthy of a good day plus travel to the next location in that area. As I was saying at the meeting we might also consider a few of the classics, but will need to do some homework and work on accessing these areas. I'm thinking of a route that I will post up which will pretty much get us from Labertouche to Powelltown on some interesting tracks.

The otways will be tough to beat, but I think with some clever trip planning we can make AT'11 an absolute blinder of a weekend.

mt worth has potential, but I think there is more exploration and some better tracks out that way to find. It may be a good option for a recce trip.
Jonno

Post by Jonno »

I am keen, had a great time at the last one, so cant wait for this one.
I agree with Dank, gembrook through to poweltown and warby should keep us busy, I think we need a few pre trips to see what else we can find out there :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

i have updated the first post with a list of interested parties.

warburton is a definate spot to hit. these days it's bringing the hurt on a regular basis.

what i am struggling with though, it what to do on either side of it. i.e. is there enough stuff in Narby/Toolangi that we could piece together for a day... or is there enough in the Poweltown/Gembrook/Labertouche area.

personally - i'm quite happy with a 1 - 1.5 hour drive at the end of each day, but it's nice to find a location (i.e. park) that we can kick around in for a whole day without having to cover a massive around of territory in between the tracks.

we also have the issue of - if it doesnt rain and we have a small group - we cruise through tracks pretty quick. if it rains and we have a large group - then its completely the opposite. i try to make sure we have enough stuff to do for the former option - better to have too much to do than not enough. i.e. toolangi in the wet would be hard work for a big group, but a small group in the dry would drive everything very quickly.
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

even if it is dry and the DSE don't grade the tracks I'm thinking of up labertouche way between now and then we are likely to spend a bit of time on them considering the trashing they have received over the last few months.

I've also heard of a "new" track that has appeared after the fires that follows a gully all the way up a hill...i'm hoping to get out there soon and check it out.
sierrajim

Post by sierrajim »

Gembrook/Larbertouche - Neerim - Warburton ??

Put me down on the list
neofitou

Post by neofitou »

mee too