Carby Problems- Again

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

Matthew
Financial Member

Carby Problems- Again

Post by Matthew »

I've got two carby problems, but i don't know if they are related. I've had both before and previously fixed them.

The first is intermittent stalling when decelerating and at idle, previously I've removed the fuel cut solenoid and blown a bit of compressed air through and it's come good.
The second problem is a choke/high idle problem that was previously fixed by replacing all the vacume lines.

The choke problem started up again about two months ago and the stalling only started a week ago.

This time neither fixes have worked, I've also sprayed plenty of carby clean through it with no luck. All the vacume hoses appear to be in good condition and the water hoses appear to be heating correctly, however I am yet to actually measure the temp.

Are these problems likely to be related and has anyone got suggestions on how to fix them.

Matt
christover1
Financial Member

Re: Carby Problems- Again

Post by christover1 »

choke/high idle is most likely blocked water flow thru choke, or low water level.

Stalling is probably dirty fuel, or cdrap from a fuel pump on its way out.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

The stalling on deceleration (my Sierra does the same) is possibly the idle solenoid on the front of the carb, the one with a green wire coming out of it. You can run a piece of wire from the battery to test if it is working.

Suziworld doesn't sell idle solenoids as a part, only complete carbs, and the genuine Suzuki part is $160.
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

Water level is ok and I don't think there is a blockage as the pipes seem to be heating ok but I'll flush it in case.
Fuel should be ok and I have a filter between pump and carby so that shouldn't be the problem.

I haven't checked the solenoid itself so I'll give that ago this afternoon.

Matt
zookstir

Post by zookstir »

My Sierra has caught the same disease. ie. engine dies on a closed throttle. :(
The carby place that reco-ed it 2 years ago is going to look at it tomorrow (Tuesday).
Needs to be fixed if I'm going to lead the trip next Sunday.
Has your problem been resolved Matt?

Bruce.
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

I'm not sure if the stalling problem is fixed.

I blew compressed air through the fuel cut solenoid again (a bit higher pressure this time) and it appeared to fix the stalling for about a week but after a few hours of driving yesterday the idle dropped to ~500 but I think it only died once or twice. This may or may not be due to my dodgy choke fix I did on Saturday.

I think the problem with the choke is the wax element. To check I adjusted the fast idle screw on the throttle lever which alleviated the problem to some extent. I then adjusted the idle speed on the carby body and got the rpm to ~900 and figured it was good enough for the trip, but it wasn't. I believe I need to adjust the screw on the wax element, I don't know why I didn't just do that in the first place though.

Matt
zookstir

Post by zookstir »

Got my car back today and now running ok with no stalling. Apparently the idle jet had become gummed up.

Bruce.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

zookstir wrote:Got my car back today and now running ok with no stalling. Apparently the idle jet had become gummed up.

Bruce.
Thats common.
Mine used to gum up whenever I used hi octane unleadeds
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
zookstir

Post by zookstir »

I sort of had a funny feeling that I might have triggered the problem myself, as approx 130Km before the problem reared its ugly head I'd put 150ml of injector/carby cleaner in with a full tank thinking it may help with a bit of flat spotting I'd been experiencing. But you wouldn't think the cleaner would have the opposite effect to that intended.
I only use regular unleaded.

Bruce.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

zookstir wrote:I sort of had a funny feeling that I might have triggered the problem myself, as approx 130Km before the problem reared its ugly head I'd put 150ml of injector/carby cleaner in with a full tank thinking it may help with a bit of flat spotting I'd been experiencing. But you wouldn't think the cleaner would have the opposite effect to that intended.
I only use regular unleaded.

Bruce.
Cleaners sometimes clean gunk out of everything, and it all ends up in the carby...
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH