paddy's trip

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

over land 4x4

paddy's trip

Post by over land 4x4 »

so are you all heading to paddy's for a spin i had a ball down there on the weekend
then this thing shat it and i had to tow it back
so littel rain and so much mud :twisted:
over land 4x4

Re: paddy's trip

Post by over land 4x4 »

had some fun today at paddy's Image
Image :twisted:
i hope you got back safe
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

Thanks again for showing us around, even if our club was under prepared for the conditions.
We'll have to do it again with more appropriate vehicles.

Thanks for posting those pics, don't know if ours worked due to Marty's camera taking a mud bath.

PS could you sms me the number of the guy with that long wheel base that was in the paper last week, if you have it, I couldn't find anywhere.

Thanks Matt
billbarbas

Post by billbarbas »

How was the trip guys? Matthew, you need to give us an indepth review.

Regards,

Bill
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

I'm attempting to write it now. I'll need the others too write some stuff too, we spread out so didn't see how the Vit or Feroza went, except for when they got stuck.
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

Thanks to the Geelong guys for showing us some really great tracks - we'll absolutely have to come back.

Had "one of those days...", first the Feroza didn't want to idle and kept stalling right at the worlds least convenient times :oops:
and then the alternator decided that it was sick of working for a living and went on holidays. :cry: Probably spared me getting recovered for the 3rd time - Coopers dont cut it in the mud and ground clearance was also a problem.

And we really need to get some serious cars unbroken as there's some excellent country to drive - what we saw would give the capable cars a fun weekend.

So whilst its was a PITA for me - we certainly could have some SERIOUS fun down there.
over land 4x4

Post by over land 4x4 »

hay matt i cant find the number for that zook and its not in this weeks paper so it may be sold ill keep a look out for you and if i find one ill give you a call
and can i see the trip review from the trip
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

Hey Aaron, this is a copy of the report, feel free to add anything that I forgot.

Fun was had, but boy was it muddy, whoever said there was nothing that hard in the area needs to go back.
The trip standard was hard, even after they they decided to take us on the easier tracks, actually it would have only been medium on the easier tracks except for all the rain and I got paranoid that I was going to brake my car. Should really have had sierras with 31's and at least 1 locker. The geelong boys had 5 or 6 sierras on this trip, all with 31's except for one guy who was on 30's. I think they may have more sierra in their club than we do, in total they have 12.

Ross and Daryl were both struggling with ground clearance and had to be snatched a number of times. I could just clear the majority of the ruts but was struggling with open diffs.
The first obstacle should have been a giveaway of how hard the day would be, both Ross and Daryl had to be dragged through and I only just made it.
Ross had to leave early after drowning the feroza's alternator in one of the numerous bog holes. Daryl cracked his extractors after knocking his exhaust off and I ended up with 2 front bead leaks, had to inflate 1 tyre 4 or 5 times. Luckily one of the guys had a great on board air setup and kept me going.
Daryl had to leave the Vit on the side of the road due to the lack of ground clearance, and not long after I decided that I was out of my depth and decided that I would need to leave as it was just too punishing on my car and there were no spare seats. Unfortunately due to the lack of spare seats Daryl and Marty had to leave too. Aaron (over land 4x4) left with us as he had to sell some parts.

This trip was enjoyable up to a point, but the fun dissipates when you need to be snatched through every second obstacle, the biggest problem with this area is the lack of chicken tracks, you have no choice but to tackle the obstacle head on.
This area would be great for a hard trip, and if we are interested the geelong guys said they'd be more than happy to take us out again, providing we bring appropriately equipped vehicles.

Matt
Phantomzook

Post by Phantomzook »

Some pics