Broken transfer box mount, again.

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

luigi
Financial Member

Broken transfer box mount, again.

Post by luigi »

Hi Fellas.
I have broken a transfer box mount (the rubber part has broken) for the second time in six months. One time I did it by driving over a fallen tree. Today by driving over a big rock.
I was thinking about putting a short length of steel cable parallel with the rubber mounts to restrict the stretch on them.
Good idea, or bad idea?
Regards, Wayne.
lbzook
Financial Member

Re: Broken transfer box mount, again.

Post by lbzook »

Are you using genuine or aftermarket mounts?
I did two mounts in two days, both aftermarket, then replaced with a genuine mount and it's been fine ever since.
If you use genuine mounts you shouldnt have any need for any other modifications or restrictions
luigi
Financial Member

Post by luigi »

Hi Fellas.
Thanks Leigh. I got the last set of mounts from Suziworld. I think they were genuine, but maybe not. My problem is the handbrake is mounted on the transfer box and gets caught on obstacles. ( yesterday was driver error :oops: )
Regads, Wayne.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Genuine mounts have the Bridgestone "B" logo on them and should last well in a car of your spec Wayne.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Pretty sure Suziworld mounts are non genuine and have a reputation for breaking when you look at them funny.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
Richardnclark
Financial Member

Post by Richardnclark »

Hi Wayne, I have a used genuine mount you can have. Give me a call Cheers Richard
luigi
Financial Member

Post by luigi »

Hi Fellas.
Thanks for the feedback. I still have the original mounts that were on the car when I bought it. I suspect they were the ones fitted at the factory, because I never changed them till this year. I had a close look at them today, and sure enough, they have the B on them. The ones I replaced them with do not.
Thanks for the offer Richard, but the old ones I have will do till I get some genuine ones.
Regards, Wayne.
Richardnclark
Financial Member

Post by Richardnclark »

Hi Wayne, If you haven't seen it have a look at the LROR web site for the video on destruction testing of genuine OEM mounts v aftermarket types. The stretch on the OEM mount is unreal - worth the money! Cheers R