'95 Sierra: setting up suspension to clear 31's

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

davidsuzuki

Re: '95 Sierra: setting up suspension to clear 31's

Post by davidsuzuki »

That's great it sounds simple then. Should be able to knock that over in the day easily.
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

Just buy Jim's green sierra Dave
lbzook
Financial Member

Post by lbzook »

jonfromhamilton wrote:Just buy Jim's green sierra Dave
Bit late now, it's sold already
davidsuzuki

Post by davidsuzuki »

So today I fitted up the lift kit. Everything went well and I just drove it home. There was one problem though to do with the front shocks. I'm not sure that I tightened the top locking nut properly. The stock shocks had two nuts tightened against each other to set the tension on the rubber spacers but the replacement shocks came with only one nut which I attempted to tighten to specified torque in the workshop manual. Unfortunately I wasn't able to hold the shock tight enough to prevent it front turning and to allow me torque it up properly. Also the rubber spacers seemed to be getting compressed quite heavily. I'm pretty sure I've done something wrong but not sure what I should do to setup it up right. Any tips???
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

The OME shocks use a nylock nut which is designed not to loosen, while the stock shocks use two normal nuts jammed together to prevent loosening. There's no need to torque the nut to match the FSM spec, just until the rubbers are compressed. (I don't have the FSM with me bit I imagine the torque figure is for the top nut not the lower nut)

There's normally a little flat on the top of the shock thread that you can put a spanner/ vice grips on as you do the nut up, but regardless, if you have the rubbers compressed that'll do fine.

Well done!

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
davidsuzuki

Post by davidsuzuki »

Thanks for the tip. It' rides a bit smoother now but the car still rocks from side to side alot on bumpy uneven surfaces. I wonder if that can be remedied easily somehow?

Considering the previous owner of the car told me it was never off-roaded I was surprised to see the shocks were completely shot. Upon compression they did not rebound at all. So it was a worthwhile mod if only to replace the spent shocks. I'll have to remove the steering damper and see if that's shot too, most likely it will be I suppose.

Next I'm heading down to my local tyre shop to test fit a few different sizes to the rims I bought, and then I can order the transfer gears to suit. I will probably be able to get regular access to the hoist and a space to store the car so it's looking like I might be able to do the transfer case rebuild myself. Once the parts arrive and if I've got all the appropriate tools on-hand how much time do you think I would need to complete the transfer case rebuild??
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Hi Dave,

I'd suggest the rocking side to side is a characteristic of the car- a short wheelbase, solid axles, and a high centre of gravity will tend to do that.

Whilst it's likely the standard shock absorbers were past their best, self-extending is a characteristic only of high- pressure gas shock absorbers. The standard Suzuki shocks won't self extend even when brand new.

Transfer install should take around 5 hours all up.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
davidsuzuki

Post by davidsuzuki »

Thanks for that.

So after doing a test fit on my new rims I've revised my plan and now want to run 235/75/15 as I don't want the wheels sticking outside the flares. I'm going to order the tyres soon and now tossing up between 4.1 or 4.9 gears. This car probably won't be a hardcore bush basher so maybe 4.1 is good enough.
davidsuzuki

Post by davidsuzuki »

Ordered the tyres. I got 235/75/15 Nankang Mudstars. Only $179 each
I've been putting some numbers through this calculator (http://www.lepayne.com/gears.html) and it seems that I should get 4.9 gears. Even though the 4.1 is a better match for high range, if I get 4.9s then I'll be better setup for offroad and maybe just revving a bit high on the highway which should be tolerable. At a guess would it be something around 3700-3800 RPM at 100km/h?? Any higher than that would be annoying so I'm ruling out putting in 5.1 or 6.x transfer gears.

I should mention I'm planning to put a Jimny or Vitara fuel injected engine into it at some stage. Should that be influencing my choice??
davidsuzuki

Post by davidsuzuki »

Oh and one more annoying question, sorry. I'm pretty eager to show off my new wheels/tyres to my friends this weekend but there's no way I can install the gears in that timeframe. If I only drive it in 2wheel high mode though it should be ok right?? Is there any risk of damaging the clutch or drive-train components by doing this?