Fuel Cell/ Tank

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

porter.8.luke

Fuel Cell/ Tank

Post by porter.8.luke »

For those that have seen blue they would understand my predicament.
I'm going down the road of a new fuel tank for blue that fits underneath the rear (stock position).
Sounds simple yes? No not so the stock tank is about 40x66cm with a seam massaged hear and there the stock position has changed a bit in blue to 300mm front to rear and 450mm-480mm side to side. So a tank has to fit hard to the floor and squeeze in to a tight spot.I have had no luck finding a neat option for the limited room so I'm going to have a go at making one that fits the spot holds the vitara pump and is strong in the bottom as to fend off some rocks and logs that one tends to land on.

So the question has some one in the club attempted this before? Rules for making tanks that I may not be aware of? Apart from not leaking :roll: beaing able to hold
3-4psi and having internal baffles?

Cheers.
Luke
lbzook
Financial Member

Re: Fuel Cell/ Tank

Post by lbzook »

Jonfromhamilton is running a custom tank with his efi conversion, I'm pretty sure he mentions it in his build thread.
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

I think ajsr used to work at Brown Davis making fuel tanks, maybe shoot him a pm.

Rocket Industries also has fuel cells for race cars, you might find one that fits. This one's 30x17x7 inches and 64ltr, the 17 inch length is a problem unless you move the shock mounts.
https://shop.rocketindustries.com.au/se ... iption+asc

I'm looking at a custom tank as well. If I move the exhaust I should be able to fit a tank between the frame rails and from the shock mounts to the rear cross member, this would be 800mm wide and 350mm long. If it's made 150mm high, it would hold 42lt and be very tucked up. Making it 200mm high gets you 56lt that is still pretty high up. And it shouldn't be too hard or costly to get a simple box made.
sierrajim

Post by sierrajim »

So your unengineered, 60 series diffed, 37" tyred car...and we're talking about legal....interesting :)

There are design regs on tanks that usually involve testing. The basic test is essentially building a tank, filling it then dropping from a pre-determined height. I'd believe that an experienced tank builder would be able to use calculations.

Based off the tanks we've had made for here. Get as much as you can folded to minimize welds where possible. Reinforce the corners with patches over the tank. Rubber mounts/washers will also help stop fatigue. Baffles and a surge pot/tank will also be required.
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

I made one, it is strong like ox
but it is heavy :(
and cost a bit
I have a few "what not to do" ideas
it has baffles and a surge pot all in one on the inside, car kept running on it's side :D but maybe thats luck or magic.
I used the baleno fuel pump and made a big inspection port at the top, the fuel gauge doesnt work properly yet :S and had to cut off one stock mount and weld in a new one but I used the other 3 stock mounts.
I also spent 80 bucks on a tank sealant which I might not have needed but did anyway, it looked cool before I put fuel in it.
porter.8.luke

Post by porter.8.luke »

Cool thanks all.
I plan to have some 3mm folded and make the rest out of lighter sheet steel, also as you have done john incorporate a large inspection port in the top.
Time to make some plans and start mocking up.
Luke