shutting down yahoo, now way off topic with Mock

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

droopypete

Re: shutting down yahoo

Post by droopypete »

Webmaster wrote: The colours of the forum may change over the next couple of days, it will all stay the same, just colours will change.
That is great news, I am having a lot of trouble with these Hawthorn colors :mrgreen:
Peter.
grimbo

Post by grimbo »

Graham bashing is fine but I don't think it should be confined to the members area only :D

Trip reports I reckon should be in the public area, maybe an abridged version but I think they do a lot more value for potential members than just a calendar of upcoming events. It gives people a chance to gauge what a trip is actually like compared to how it was advertised. It can show them what a medium trip is like, or how the vehicle setups up were, camping and track conditions, numbers of turn out etc. The main reason a lot of people join a club is for the trips and to deny potential members the chance to view this may be more of a deterrent.

I agree that tech and buildup stuff (stuff that is obviously no use to a webwheeler like myself) should be a members entitlement. Also obviously things like club general business, committee stuff etc should also stay there.

Just my 2c

PS also things like the snow trip which may have a trip report happening in the members area I am interested in hearing about it as I did go to a fair bit of trouble and time to try and get pat along. That had been in the side wings for quite a while and I would kinda like to hear from the club how it went etc
cj!

Post by cj! »

At this stage there are no plans to shift the Trips & Events section into the Public forum. That may or may not change in the future depending on how things go. What I would like to see is, as you put it Graham, an abridged version that would be in the Club mag and could also be posted in the Public area but that will require people to write about their trips. There is nothing preventing members from posting in the Public forum but we do hope that will also post in the Members section too. The Club mag is now in PDF format and will be emailed to all members and will also be available for download. If you have already downloaded last months mag you will have seen Mitch's write up on Doof. We are hoping to build on that with other articles on builds, trips etc. as in PDF it is not costing the Club any money to produce or distribute. Prospective members are always able to come to Club meetings, meet us at Wandin and even attend trips to get a real feel for the Club which although this site gives an insight into, it is not the same thing. As I have said before this is early days and there is still more work to do. For those that financially support the Club, we are trying to value add so that they get more benefits. Given the amount of traffic and posts so far compared to what was happening on the Yahoo site recently, the early signs are positive.
grimbo

Post by grimbo »

I whole heartedly agree that financial members should be getting greater benefit from the forum and the mag. Just pointing out that trip reports are a very strong marketing tool for the club and shouldn't be filed away as members access only.
cj!

Post by cj! »

We are currently having a discussion in the members area regarding the trips section and there has been a possible solution put forward. Time will tell.
andrew_wale

Post by andrew_wale »

grimbo wrote:Trip reports I reckon should be in the public area, maybe an abridged version but I think they do a lot more value for potential members than just a calendar of upcoming events. It gives people a chance to gauge what a trip is actually like compared to how it was advertised. It can show them what a medium trip is like, or how the vehicle setups up were, camping and track conditions, numbers of turn out etc. The main reason a lot of people join a club is for the trips and to deny potential members the chance to view this may be more of a deterrent.
I agree with Grimbo. Posting trip reports in the public section, I think, will show to the public that the Suzuki Cub is an active club and then hopefully generate further membership. I originally joined as I was interested in the trips.
Mock

Post by Mock »

I think a BIG HUGE THANKS needs to go to Christovor, for putting together and looking after the Yahoo site for the years that it has run 8-)

THANKS CHRIS!!!

Mock :mrgreen:
mugginsmoo welding grinding sanding painting my old shit in melb
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Mock wrote:I think a BIG HUGE THANKS needs to go to Christovor, for putting together and looking after the Yahoo site for the years that it has run 8-)

THANKS CHRIS!!!

Mock :mrgreen:
Thanks Mock and thank you all, it was a fun and educational time for me.
This club has been good to and for me, I was happy to give back.
It is great to see where the new committee are taking us...Back to the future :mrgreen:

christover
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
grimbo

Post by grimbo »

Curious to know if the members section is getting alot of use with the change over to this new format? As obviously the guest section isn't. Not having a go, just wanting to know if the financial members have embraced the new format
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Everyone should go to the old yahoo group files section, and/or photo section directly, to download stuff. Yahoo don't like hot linking.
I haven't disabled yahoo yet, just locked it, so that invited or present members can grab everything they want before it goes away.

christover
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH