Sierra Front Axle

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

sam
Financial Member

Sierra Front Axle

Post by sam »

Just after some advice on which axles to get for my sierra. I want to put a front locker in and i thought getting the axles sorted now seems the only way to go.
Is there a recommended choice between the trail tough 'Double Tough' or the Low Range Off Road set. The Low Range Off Road on the web site state "The inner race of the Birfield have been upgraded to 33-splines to better distribute the torque loading". Not sure if its the same as the Trail Tough design or if its a recent upgrade they have done because the other ones they sold weren't reliable?
As for a locker i was thinking a spool, i have no idea how 'bad' the front locked all the time off road would be, so some advice would be great on that too. Not sure if there is such a way to make a front disconnect save disengaging hubs every two seconds while retaining the strength of the spool.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sam
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Sierra Front Axle

Post by gwagensteve »

My preference would be TT double toughs , but I'm sure the trail gear axles low range offer will also be fine. I don't believe there's any real advantage to the 33 spline inner at the CV end- it just guarantees the axle will break at the diff end.

You will HATE a spooled front. The car will be a pig to drive me you'll be forever unlocking one hub so you can steer. If you don't have power steering don't even consider it for a second- you won't be able to drive the car for very long offroad before you'll loose your mind

Auto locker or air locker/Chinese knock off air locker for the front.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
sam
Financial Member

Re: Sierra Front Axle

Post by sam »

Thanks, i'll go for the TT Double toughs then.

I figured the spool wouldn't be ideal in the front but i didn't know how bad, after what you said i think i'll take your advice and go for an air locker. Since i don't have power steering yet it seems the better option plus it saves the constant annoyance of unlocking hubs.

Thanks Steve