sierra carby

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

luigi
Financial Member

sierra carby

Post by luigi »

Hi fellas. Has anyone ever tried to bush the carburetor body where the butterfly shaft goes through. Mine is badly worn and I reckon it is sucking air in.
My old mate who worked on carburetor cars all his life reckons once the shaft and body of the carby wear you can never get the idle mixture right. Once my engine warms up it won't idle under 1000 rpm. The idle speed also fluctuates about 200 revs. The idle speed screw has no effect.
Does anyone have an old carby, all I need is the lower part. Something I can experiment with? I would be happy to buy it, of course.
Regards, Wayne.
jonfromhamilton

Re: sierra carby

Post by jonfromhamilton »

I removed my butterfly valve
better than ever,
if 200rpm is your variation then you have the best carby
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

We often had to bush our Moke butterfly spindles, keep out air, and dust.
Never did anything fancy, just a small chunk of rubber, often a lacker band, around spindle.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
luigi
Financial Member

Post by luigi »

Hi Fellas. Thanks for the reply. Maybe I am using the wrong terms for the parts I mean. It is the shaft that the accelerator cable attaches to. Not the choke butterfly.
I wonder if something like a valve stem seal could be fitted to each end of the shaft? Or maybe O rings. Chris's suggestion has given me some ideas.
Can I ask you blokes who have converted sierras to fuel injection. Some dumb questions?
Does it use the same inlet manifold? The same cylinder head? Are the systems readily available? Does it need a new wiring loom?
The workshop manual has a huge section on fuel injection. Makes me think it is very complicated.
Regards. Wayne.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

One guy actually drilled out the hole an fitted a proper bush bit in for the spindle.
Basically refitting a new tighter hole.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
jono165
Financial Member

Post by jono165 »

Most sierras running injection are either running a G16b out a Vitara/Baleno or a Jimny G13BB. these use different blocks/cylinder heads/manifolds etc, the whole assembly is swapped in. Im not sure if you can bolt a jimny head/manifold and associated EFI gear to the standard 1.3 but someone else can probably confirm that. You would have to remove the engine wiring loom from the main loom from the donor car and sort out a high pressure fuel pump.

Another option is to run an EFI setup of an American Suzuki Samurai which is throttle body injection. There was one floating around on ebay a while ago but I'm not sure how reliable the setup is.
luigi
Financial Member

Post by luigi »

Hi fellas. Thanks Jono165. That answers a lot of my questions. The fuel injection system in my workshop manual must be the yankee setup.
Regards Wayne.