Sierra Carby

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

sam
Financial Member

Sierra Carby

Post by sam »

The carby on my sierra is in need of attention, rough idle/no idle and sometimes no power in 2000-3000rpm range (just dies). It has issues. So I decided to take it off and fix it. I have also removed the petrol tank to clean out any 20-year-old petrol grime.
I guess what I need to know is how hard is it to put a rebuild kit through the carby or can someone recommend somewhere to take it to get rebuilt?
Also I drained the petrol tank but I’m not sure if anyone has any tips on actually cleaning it better than that. I’m not sure if I have to do anymore than rinse it out with new petrol or is there some way of chemically cleaning it? It’s something new to me.
Any help/advise would be great.

Cheers Sam
jonfromhamilton

Re: Sierra Carby

Post by jonfromhamilton »

Hey Sam

I put a carby kit through my carb.
it took the better part of 7 hours or so over 2 days because I am not a mechanic or any good at this sort of thing.

I used 2 cans of carby cleaner which burn the hell out of your hands by the end of it.

I just used a toothbrush and washed all the bits I could easily take apart but I don't think you need to take everything you can apart.

I reccomend taking a bucketload of photos of each angle of the carby before you begin to take things apart and don't lose that tiny ball bearing and spring.

and take note of where each washer goes.

maybe I got lucky but it runs great now
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

Sam, have you tried cleaning the fuel cut solenoid?

Some people say to put a handful of blue metal in the tank and swish that around to remove crud.
luigi
Financial Member

Post by luigi »

Hi Sam. I have a hard copy workshop manual for sierras. It has a very comprehensive section on the carburetor. With pictures and diagrams for all the australian and overseas models. It also has overhauling and tuning instructions. I have had the carby on my sierra apart a few times. I found the manual really helpful. I dont think I am the only one with a workshop manual, but you can copy the relevant parts if you want. I am in Ringwood. Let me know if you want.
Luigi.
jonfromhamilton

luigi wrote:Hi Sam. I have a hard copy workshop manual for sierras. It has a very comprehensive section on the carburetor. With pictures and diagrams for all the australian and overseas models. It also has overhauling and tuning instructions. I have had the carby on my sierra apart a few times. I found the manual really helpful. I dont think I am the only one with a workshop manual, but you can copy the relevant parts if you want. I am in Ringwood. Let me know if you want.
Luigi.
this sounds like a much better bet than my "take apart what you can and wash it" :lol:
sam
Financial Member

Post by sam »

Thanks jonfromhamilton i think i might give it a go putting a kit through myself. I will be sure to take a lots of photos. Comforting to know yours now runs good after the kit.

I never tried the fuel cut solenoid but i'll defiantly take note of it. I'll give the metal in the tank a go to try and try and clean it. I guess its the only way of really breaking up any grime.

Thanks for the offer Luigi but i already have the workshop manual. i'll be referring to it every step, thats for sure.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

I would clean the carby from the fuel cut solenoid opening before putting a kit through it. A lot of the jets will be cleaned this way.

All you need to do is spray a liberal amount of carby cleaner, with a long nozzle, into the solenoid opening, let it soak for a few mins, blow out with compressed air, then repeat. Keep the pressure low so as not to damage the float.

If you haven't already, fit a fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carby.
sam
Financial Member

Post by sam »

Thanks Matt, i give the fuel cut solenoid a go. I have never cleaned that before.

Its a good idea to put a fuel filter between the carby and the pump, i'll make sure i get on to that.

cheers.
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

Forgot to mention, be careful of the o-ring on the end of the solenoid, it's stupidly tiny. And probably a given, but clean the solenoid itself and check it works while it's out.
jonfromhamilton

and BTW when I did my carby I got a new distributor cap and rotor adn new ignition leads.
I think they are cheap at repco at the moment (where I got mine)
Leads = $24
Rotor = $5ish
cap = $14

a lot cheaper than wherever else I looked including ebay.