High Country Tour 26 - 29/1/12

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

Brad.Jones
Financial Member

Re: High Country Tour 26 - 29/1/12

Post by Brad.Jones »

Alright so it looks like I'll be in the GV again :(
I have put the pressure on the mechanics to hurry up with my sierra but I am doubtful if it will be ready in time.
Apart from the harder stuff the GV is probably more suited to the trip anyway.

Do I need to take extra fuel??? If so how much???

If its just the 2 of us going should we have other ways of recovery - eg: hand winch - just in case the worst happens and we both get stuck...

Is there anything in particular you can think of that perhaps I haven't thought of?
Brad Jones - Analyst - http://www.kdis.com.au - 0407 961 903
2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara - 1988 Suzuki Sierra
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

Fuel shouldn't be a problem (famous last words :lol: ). Benambra to Seldom Seen is about 150 km, only 50 km offroad/lowrange, the remaining 100 km 2wd. Seldom Seen to Orbost is about the same distance and mix of offroad/onroad. We should be able to get fuel at Seldom Seen or Gelantipy but this not 100% certain. If we can't get fuel then we need to cover 300 km. A Sierra should be OK, but I will be carrying an extra 20 lt to be safe. What sort of economy does the GV get? Also, make sure you have some cash for the fuel, I doubt SS would take a card.

I will bring a hand winch, along with the usual snatch strap, tow strap, shackles, etc. But the tracks aren't that hard. They are slow going due to the rough surface and steep climbs and descents but there are no bog holes or deep ruts. I did drive the Cobberas 4 years ago in a completely standard Sierra with road tyres. It took 5 hours to cover the 50 km. Being a long weekend and popular tracks I expect there will several other groups on these tracks who could lend a hand if we get stuck.

Bring some warm clothes, it can get very cold overnight up there.

You will need food for at least 2 days (Friday and Saturday) but bring 4 or 5 days worth of food in case we get rained in.

Alternatively, we could just do a much easier cruise through the high country closer to Melbourne. There's plenty to see and do without the long drive to and from the far corner of the state.
Brad.Jones
Financial Member

Post by Brad.Jones »

The GV gets about 450km to 500km a tank of highway driving.
But as you say I'll take an extra Jerry as well. 20L of fuel is a whole lot of walking.

What about river crossings??? Is there anything deep enough to need a snorkel? Cause I ain't got one on either car yet.
Alternatively, we could just do a much easier cruise through the high country closer to Melbourne. There's plenty to see and do without the long drive to and from the far corner of the state.
Oh now come on don't tell me your piking out... :) Didn't take the day off work for nothing. Anyway will give me a chance to catch up with the sis in orbost.

Anyway looking forward to it.
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

Lots of 'river' crossings, but none will be more than axle deep.
Brad.Jones
Financial Member

Post by Brad.Jones »

Well basically all ready to go. Got a few bits and pieces to sort out tonight.
I will be in the GV. I'll see you at the Dargo Pub tomorrow for lunch.
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

cars packed, weathers looking good, see you at Dargo.
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

Left Melbourne at 8.30 Thursday morning in the Sierra. Met up with Brad and Mel in the GV for lunch at Dargo, continued north along Upper Dargo rd, turned onto Stockroute tk which took us to Birregun rd. Stopped at Omeo for fuel and the bakery and finally arrived at a Native Dog Flat campground at 5.30.

Mt Birregun helipad

The next day low cloud was obscuring the views as we started out along the Cobberas tk.

Made good time and reached the Ingeegoodbee river at midday. By now the sun was out and the temperature getting warm so we spent an hour cooling off in the river.

The climb up and out of the Ingeegoodbee was the hardest part of the trip with several short, steep rock sections but nothing that needed a second go. Stopped at Mt Meenak helipad for some pics

and got back to the main road around 2.00. Had a look at the Suggen Buggen school house then it was onto Seldom Seen for fuel where we found an LJ.

Stopped at the Little River gorge lookout before arriving at Mckillops Bridge at 5.00, set up camp and went for a swim in the warm Snowy river.

Saturday saw us on the Deddick Trail by 9.00 with a long steady and sometimes rocky climb up to the Gelantipy Plateau for some easy driving

then a long drop down to a river. A short drive along the valley floor and we were at the bottom of the 'staircase'. This was steep and long but in good condition. No washouts or ruts. Motored up in 3rd low (6.5s and 31s), even had a Landcruiser pull over to let us through.

After crossing the Rodger river

we arrived at the 2wd Yalmy rd at 12.30. Detoured to Wood Point north of Orbost for another swim in the Snowy. We split up at this point and I spent Saturday and Sunday on the beach at Marlo, resting up for the five hour drive back to Melbourne on Monday.
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

couple of videos from the weekend, the downhill bits are on the Cobberas tk, the uphill bit is the climb out of the Ingeegoodbee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i63OCPVc ... 2kLE5_OYZj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFFdxw0r ... AAAAAAAAAA
mika
Financial Member

Post by mika »

nice pics and report Steve. Looks like you's had a good trip.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

I'm peeved I didn't make it,
but such is life.
Glad you guys had a great trip.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH