Looking for ideas for a build?

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

cj!

Looking for ideas for a build?

Post by cj! »

For those who have too much time and need to build something different using a Sierra how about this approach?

http://sandrcars.freeservers.com/Bedfordrascal.html
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Re: Looking for ideas for a build?

Post by mightymouse »

Love the tyre coverage - a teensy bit on the "not roadworthy" side ?

Wonder how it fits in with UK registration requirements.......
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

That actually worked out a lot better than I imagined it might, but I reckon it would be scary as hell. It's hard for me to see the advantage over a conventional sierra.

As I understand it the advantage of forward control is a very short wheelbase for a large load area and the ability to load between the wheels to maintain handling and equal wheel loading with high payload. Niether of these factors are a really a big issue for us.

If you assumed maybe 200kg of payload, tops, for most of us, the weight of the cab and driver/passenger in front of the front axle would still result in a very nose heavy car.

To counter this, winch, batteries, spare etc could be mounted right at the back of the chassis to counteract, but somehow this seems to defeat the purpose of forward control - you just end up with a tall car with lots of weight at each end, so the weight transfer would be evil.

Could still make a fun project with a Jimny chassis though - more WB and less overhangs.

Legality could be a "small" problem though.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

mightymouse wrote: Wonder how it fits in with UK registration requirements.......
Some of the dubious stuff that gets plates in the UK amazes me. They still have a large "kit car" industry and as a result seem to have very few restrictions on this sort of thing.

Lots of hybrid landrovers and even tube framed "comp safari" (off road race cars) get plates that could never be registered here. I have read accounts of guys building range rover chassis/land rover bodied stuff in their back yard (with few tools) and then the "nice man from the SVA (vicroads equivalent) came over, had a cup of tea, looked over the car and gave it approval"

They also have no restrictions on the use of Agricultural tyres - so long as you observe the speed rating of the tyre on the road, they're legal (which is also why they have a huge retread market)

They don't have anywhere to go 4WDing though.... so it's swings and roundabouts I guess.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

How ironic - they seem to be able to build what they want and can't drive anywhere, whereas we still have places to drive but can't really build what we want. (perhaps its for the best - god only knows what we would build )