June 28/29 Licola Mt Skene Walhala

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

cj!

June 28/29 Licola Mt Skene Walhala

Post by cj! »

Just had a phone call from Paul Mac with a short notice trip.

It is scheduled for Saturday 28 and Sunday 29 June. Meeting at the BP servo at Labertouche at 8am. The plan is to head via Licola over Mt Skene to Jameison where you can refuel. The idea is to stay the night at the Lakeside in Jameison (03 5777 0515 book ASAP and mention that you are part of the Suzuki 4WD Club) and then head home Sunday via Woods Point & Walhalla. The weather forecast is for rain over the next several days and snow in the High Country so there could be some good snow driving to be had.

Contact Paul McDonald 0427 509 496 for more details and to put your name down for this.
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Re: June 28/29 Licola Mt Skene Walhala

Post by mightymouse »

Thanks to Joey and Paul for a fun weekend.

Friday, Joey, Rob and I had a leisurely cruise from his place ending up at Licola.

Wandered around and had a easy days driving with a few "navigation challenges" that the SatNav promptly resolved.
Rob fractured the fuel line from the petrol filler to his tank ( poor workmanship by the gas conversion mob ) so some hasty ( and not that effective ) repairs were needed before he lost all his petrol.

Stayed at the Lions Club Camp - basic but dry and comfortable - a good option for a Christmas party. Cabins hold around 12 people with multiple showers/ toilets etc. BBQ's etc etc. Pretty much everything you need for the family to have a comfortable few days.

Joey has proved Top Gear wrong - you can break a Hilux - broke off the passengers shock tower ! I think it was well and truly cracked beforehand and its just chose that moment to finally let go. Took a substantial piece of chassis with it.

Lions Club Camp had an old arc welder so it got repaired before Pauls group arrived Saturday morning. ( I vit, 2 Sierra's, 1 patrol ) making a grand total of seven cars for the Mt. Skene drive.

Just a few scattered lumps of snow on Mt Skene, was cold and misty enough for some snow, but not on demand...

Drove down to Jamison and had a few drinks and Dinner at the Lakeside Hotel but not before we visited the exposed bottom of Lake Eildon and had several hours of muddy fun. Refueled the patrol via jiggle siphon as the pump couldn't reach past the break. - "if you can't do it the way it SHOULD be done - do it the way it CAN be done..."

Sunday cruised from Jamison via woods point to Erika for a delayed lunch ( but it was worth it - huge helpings ) and then home via the Valley.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

7.jpg
8.jpg
andrew_wale

Post by andrew_wale »

mightymouse wrote:Joey has proved Top Gear wrong - you can break a Hilux - broke off the passengers shock tower !
How did Joey snap this ? It was supposed to be an easy trip not a demolition trip.
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

The chassis had been cracked for some time by the looks of it... and it just choose that moment to let go.

Apparently its not unheard of with Hiluxes - theres a reinforcing kit available from someone to stop this very problem.
Spoke to Joey today and the other tower is also cracked - so its going to need some TLC with the welder to fix it and stop it happening again.