What sort of club trip do people want ?

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

What sort of club trip do people want ?

Post by mightymouse »

IMO we seem to be having a quiet year for club trips up to date - at least compared with prior years.
Attendances on trips are also low. so the obvious question is :

What type of events do people want to ATTEND ?

How frequent ?
What sort of distances are people prepared to drive to get there ?
4WD or other "social events" ?
Day trips /Weekend trips ?
Where do you want to go ?
Camping or better.?
How easy / hard ?
Family / solo ?

Share you thoughts..............
cj!

Re: What sort of club trip do people want ?

Post by cj! »

I'm interested in a variety of trips but at the moment I need to put in some shed time. This issue of building vehicles has meant some of those who would normally be running trips haven't and there have not been many to step up and fill the gap. If every member ran just one trip a year we would have a very full calendar.

To run a trip is not an onerous task especially given our Club environment. It is actually pretty easy as in reality it is just a bunch of friends going for a drive. All that is required is an idea of where you want to go, a map or maps of the area and let others know what time and place to meet at. Ask around as others may have already been there and could pass on tips and tracks. There is nothing wrong with running the same trip as someone else has done in the past either. If you have never run a trip before and you feel like a hand then you can always ask someone to come along with you who has or to have someone help with the navigation. You can also set a maximum number for attendees so that it doesn't get to unwieldy. Remember to be flexible as conditions can change and tracks may be undriveable and this goes for attendees too.
robsjimny
Financial Member

Post by robsjimny »

I agree it dose seem quieter in the last six months or so. Maybe it becuase of alot of builds currently on. As for me I pefer single day trips close to melb. Around one hour travel time. And A sunday. Work saturdays. Type of trip dose not matter as you can make it as hard as you want. Stupid lines etc. You could say that 4wding is social too. Camping can be good even for a single day trip. It's breaks up the driving.

Rob
zookstir

Post by zookstir »

Ross' post on the other current trip thread has "pricked" me into overcoming my tardiness.
Although I've owned my Sierra for quite a number of years, I've always aspired to using it for it's intended purpose and only recently done something about it by joining this club, which I thought (and still think) was the most appropriate.
So I'm pretty much a novice at 4WD with much to learn, and given the fact that my vehicle is only mildly modified (and likely to stay that way), I'm really only going to be interested in the easy and easy/medium type trips.
I have a family connection to early gold mining in the Upper Goulburn area and am interested in the old mining sites.
Some of these sites I've visited on Rudi Paoletti's ghost town tours.
I like the extended type day tour, ala the Cheviot tunnel tour that Daryl organised last year. I think the Marysville - McAdams trip that Daryl also ran just before I joined would be good (maybe we can do it again sometime?).
I would have liked to have joined Ross on his Mt.Cole recce trip at Easter, but unfortunately couldn't attend.
I like the idea of an occasional full weekend trip, camping or otherwise.
Is it natural to assume that the easier type trips are going to be more popular than the hard ones?, given that there's less chance of having an "expensive" day out.
My 2 cents :)

Bruce.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Actually Bruce, traditionally, except for the newbies day, there's no good correlation between standard and attendance. Cup day was well attended and that was a hard trip.

Personally, obviously, I prefer the more technical trips, but I believe that most "medium" trips can cater for anyone.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
billbarbas

Post by billbarbas »

we have no trips at the moment in store for May. Here is your opportunity to tell us where you want to go? If your not confident in running a trip, email or ring the committe or myself, we could possibly run it or help you run it. We will be running a trip leaders course in May,
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

( RANT ON )

Thanks to those that responded - but what about the silent majority ?

When I first joined the club, Steve mentioned a "service provision" attitude that had affected some clubs, where members pay their fee and expect trips and entertainment to be delivered. I didn't quite understand what he meant at the time - being honest, I took trips and trip leaders for granted.

Is this happening to us - we pay our $60 and expect entertainment to be provided ?

We are a small club, every members commitment is vital and makes a huge difference.
When the usual people run trips we all benefit, but IMO we also have an obligation to return something to the club - to benefit others.

I have a little idea of how it feels to organize something and then have a small response - and I'm new to it all.
How frustrating it must be for our regulars to repeatedly go through the same experiences - their commitment is way under appreciated.

So how about it "Silent Majority" do something for the club, give some feedback, turn up to a trip - organize a trip ( how come only people who have already run trips are attending the trip leaders session ? ).
If every member did one thing FOR the club each year the editor would need a multipage magazine to fit it all

We need more than your money - we need you participation.

( /RANT )
billbarbas

Post by billbarbas »

Im interested to see if we get a response mate.
andrew_wale

Post by andrew_wale »

G'day.

Just to add my 2 cent worth.

I think day trips Easy to Medium.
As I am on call with work every 4 weeks or so, it is hard to take time off work.
So day trips for me are the easiest.