Motor for the Trolley Tug

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Motor for the Trolley Tug

Post by gwagensteve »

I'm not arguing for a moment that the AW-4 isn't a better auto, but in a car as light as a sierra and with healthy power/weight, the disadvantages of the trimatic don't seem, on paper, to be as much of a problem as they are in a vitara with a carby, especially when you look at the added hassle of fitting and wiring the AW-4 considering the extra bulk in all directions and requirement for a TCC, unless you get into DE variants etc.

In some offroad situations, the lower 1st gear and deeper converter ratio might actually hurt performance.

I agree though, 3K would be an ideal cruise figure, and the AW-4 would run pretty close to that.

In any case, there's nothing to say that an AW-4 couldn't be swapped later, as there is no adpation problem, like with a Jimny 4 speed auto or something.

anyway, just some more fuel for the fire ;)

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
cj!

Post by cj! »

I do agree that the trimatic would be an easier conversion than the AW4 but a 2.0 with the AW4 would be very 8-) I suppose a number of factors are in play along with ease of fitment such as cost and availability of suitable donors. At the end of the day as long as it gets EFI and an auto it's going to be a good thing.
Gallagags
Financial Member

Post by Gallagags »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the input, although the 2.0 litre would be great I think that I would be asking a little too much from other components of the car such as x-case and diffs. I think that I have found (with some help from Steve) a G16B (coil pack baleno front cut) and a vitara trimatic. The only problem is that the motor has done 213,000, what do you think is a good price for it and what problems can these motors have down the track. This seems like a good way to go because I get everything that I need to do the conversion from one place, the only other thing that I need to track down is a vitara fuel tank.

Cheers Michael
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Thought it was 217,000km

No engine fan, still need GV coolant pipes. May need a vitara VSS. Radiator in the cut is toast so might need to try the 1.3 one first.That's about all I can think of.

Still say the deal is good value. Vitara cuts have been up to $2500 and thats for a dizzy motor, no coil pack. I think the people claiming 1600 for vitara EFI motors aren't generally getting cut, they're import, and aren't getting A/C compressors, PS pumps, airboxes etc. and with that a Vit cut will still have the crossover pipe, big fat ugly airflow meter and a dizzy. The Baleno motor will look as neat as Greg's in the engine bay (in fact, it will look exactly the same except for the coolant pipe)

I think Greg's 1.3 and auto owes him $3.5k, for reference. (and he still didn't get or PS, A/C) so add about $500 for that stuff, give or take. I think the baleno/trimatic will be tougher, cheaper to work with and I know makes more power.

PS just watched The Collective. Very cool- a lot like Roam. (Sorry for the distraction.... back to cars :oops: )

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Seem to have lost the post from the other day. Check these links.

http://www.raceglides.com.au/TriMatic.htm

http://www.raceglides.com.au/SpecialtyItems.htm

food for thought. I think that is more beef than can readily/economically be built into an AW-4.

Steve.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

OK, we will get some photos up next weekend, but this is where we are after day one of the swap.

The cut arrived at my place on saturday arvo.

We got the motor and engine loom out of the cut. I'm still working on the body to get the body loom out.
A certain member suggested using the whole Baleno loom - It might be the worst idea ever (thanks Mitch ;) ) The body loom is insanely complex. We will be wiring an engine loom only, which is quite small/neat.

Small issues - the Power steering bracket is bent from the hit, but at this stage it is unclear whether the A/C (which shares the bracketry) will clear the chassis anyway.

The rocker cover is cracked from the impact - the coil pack broke off the rocker cover. We will have to source a rocker cover.

This motor does have the crank angle sensor in the front of the block, so some sump jiggerypokery will be required.

Trimatic will arrive probably next W/E.

The AW-4 was out of the question. Measurements indicated we would have had two unis back to back as a jackshaft.

We will get photos up.