Valve Clearance Issue or Poor Technique

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

Matthew
Financial Member

Valve Clearance Issue or Poor Technique

Post by Matthew »

I’m not sure if it’s poor technique or worn cam/rockers but I can’t quieten the valve noise, at least I think it’s valve noise, on my coil pack G16B. It has always been a bit noisy but has become a lot louder recently.

When cold it sounds okay, but as soon as it gets warm it sounds excessively loud.

I have tried multiple settings and nothing seems to work ranging from 0.17mm-0.21mm hot on the intake and 0.28mm-0.32mm hot on the exhaust side.

I have tried setting according to the FSM procedure and also by setting when the cam lobe is directly opposite the rocker pad. There is a difference in feel between the two positions but neither position seems to quieten it much.

The cam pads on the exhaust rocker arms seem to have more clearance on the side closest to their corresponding piston which may be part of the problem? Or could be normal?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong?
greyghost
Financial Member

Re: Valve Clearance Issue or Poor Technique

Post by greyghost »

your technique sounds ok, I always set valve clearance on the "back" of the cam

does sound like a high milage wear issue.
have you removed the rockers and shaft from the engine?

it is possible that you have a broken rocker shaft, but your rockers (with the uneven were) sound like they are toast.
pirate4x4 wrote:So much hate, you guys never heard of QUADRANGULATION!? This is thinking outside the box, so outside you can not even see the box anymore :)
Matthew
Financial Member

Re: Valve Clearance Issue or Poor Technique

Post by Matthew »

I haven’t removed the rockers or shaft.

I spent a few hours playing around with the cold adjustments last night to get more of an idea of what’s going on. When setting 180° from the cam lobe and then positioning the cam/pulley as per the FSM some of the clearance closed up by .01mm.

The current plan for today is to try setting them at 0.17/0.28 in whichever is the tightest spot and if nothing has changed just drive it.

That “minor” overheating issue from a few years ago plus all the very short distance trips as a work vehicle might have caught up with it, shame since the engine has less than 200k on it. Still hoping it’s my technique.