Mod plate/ roadworthy recommendations victoria

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

faithannika

Mod plate/ roadworthy recommendations victoria

Post by faithannika »

Hey there,

I have an SJ80 Sierra with a G16B engine from a vitara in that I need mod plated and then I also need roadworthied. The car is currently registered just not in my name, a friend said to post on here and ask where you guys got your cars mod plated, any help or direction is appreciated. I’m located in Ascot Vale (western suburbs) but willing to travel if they don’t nit pick and are a decent price.

Also does anyone know a guy that dies roadworthys and isn’t super strict? I keep going to mechanics that pick apart literally everything.

TIA Faith x
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Mod plate/ roadworthy recommendations victoria

Post by gwagensteve »

Hi Faith,

I can't help with a VSS engineer, but a G16B alone is a fairly straightforward to approve. It seems lots of VASS engineers are now retiring and/or aren't pursuing VASS work due to insurance concerns. There is a list of VASS engineers on Vicroads website.

However, from what I've seen of your car it has suspension lift and larger tyres. The engineer can't "unsee" these things - track width increase, overall height and tyre size must all fall within roadworthy limits, so in your case a 28" diameter tyre maximum, no more than 25mm increase in track width etc.

Be aware that engineers generally aren't that into writing reports for cars that have already been completed. Generally, they like to be presented with a plan, which they then provide feedback on, then see the car at least once during construction and drive it on completion. They'll typically have a number of questions they will ask which might be hard to answer unless you were involved in building the car.

A quick checklist an engineer might seeks answers to could include: Does it have a catalytic converter? Does it have an aftermarket exhaust and/or extractors? if so, you may need to provide a noise report. (Some engineers will do this themselves) has the fuel system been swapped to use EFI hoses? Is the complete evaporative emissions system intact- carbon canister present and connected to manifold etc. Does the vehicle's diagnostic function operate correctly (check engine light present, clear of codes) does the conversion clear all moving parts through the full suspension cycle (sump clearance, tie rod to exhaust downpipe clearance - an issue in SJ80's with G16B's and does the engine clear the bonnet? is the speedometer accurate to ADR standards? Does the vehicle have the correct emissions information sticker under the bonnet? (this will need to match a vitara and has specific information that's mandatory for all cars) Does the engine's PCV system work as per the donor vehicle and does it discharge into the intake as per factory? Does the car have a sealed airbox?

As for a "lenient" RWC - that's not really a thing anymore - the car has to be photographed and the photographs are uploaded to Vicroads. I'm aware that some RWC' providers will be more picky about things like oil leaks and windscreen condition, but overall it's a pretty cursory check of vehicle condition to be honest. look like you've made an effort and don't expect the RWC to pass a substantially modified car. Make sure everything works etc and you'll be fine. As you can see from the list about, the car is going to need to be in pretty good shape when the VASS engineer drives it in any case so from that point a RWC should be a formality.

The price for a RWC is fixed by Vicroads. The price of any remedial work is up for discussion between yourself and the mechanic involved, but as I've suggested, I'd imagine the car will be pretty much ready to pass a RWC when the engineer drives it, so the RWC will be a formality at that point.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

Keep us posted with how you go Faith, I’m going to be doing similar in about 6 months.
faithannika

Post by faithannika »

gwagensteve wrote: Sat 01 Apr, 2023 3:52 pm Hi Faith,

I can't help with a VSS engineer, but a G16B alone is a fairly straightforward to approve. It seems lots of VASS engineers are now retiring and/or aren't pursuing VASS work due to insurance concerns. There is a list of VASS engineers on Vicroads website.

However, from what I've seen of your car it has suspension lift and larger tyres. The engineer can't "unsee" these things - track width increase, overall height and tyre size must all fall within roadworthy limits, so in your case a 28" diameter tyre maximum, no more than 25mm increase in track width etc.

Be aware that engineers generally aren't that into writing reports for cars that have already been completed. Generally, they like to be presented with a plan, which they then provide feedback on, then see the car at least once during construction and drive it on completion. They'll typically have a number of questions they will ask which might be hard to answer unless you were involved in building the car.

A quick checklist an engineer might seeks answers to could include: Does it have a catalytic converter? Does it have an aftermarket exhaust and/or extractors? if so, you may need to provide a noise report. (Some engineers will do this themselves) has the fuel system been swapped to use EFI hoses? Is the complete evaporative emissions system intact- carbon canister present and connected to manifold etc. Does the vehicle's diagnostic function operate correctly (check engine light present, clear of codes) does the conversion clear all moving parts through the full suspension cycle (sump clearance, tie rod to exhaust downpipe clearance - an issue in SJ80's with G16B's and does the engine clear the bonnet? is the speedometer accurate to ADR standards? Does the vehicle have the correct emissions information sticker under the bonnet? (this will need to match a vitara and has specific information that's mandatory for all cars) Does the engine's PCV system work as per the donor vehicle and does it discharge into the intake as per factory? Does the car have a sealed airbox?

As for a "lenient" RWC - that's not really a thing anymore - the car has to be photographed and the photographs are uploaded to Vicroads. I'm aware that some RWC' providers will be more picky about things like oil leaks and windscreen condition, but overall it's a pretty cursory check of vehicle condition to be honest. look like you've made an effort and don't expect the RWC to pass a substantially modified car. Make sure everything works etc and you'll be fine. As you can see from the list about, the car is going to need to be in pretty good shape when the VASS engineer drives it in any case so from that point a RWC should be a formality.

The price for a RWC is fixed by Vicroads. The price of any remedial work is up for discussion between yourself and the mechanic involved, but as I've suggested, I'd imagine the car will be pretty much ready to pass a RWC when the engineer drives it, so the RWC will be a formality at that point.
Thanks so much for this, I only just saw it lol. I’ll have a look on the website, I’ve just been told a lot are quite expensive and some are more lenient with price. We’ll see I guess
faithannika

Post by faithannika »

Matthew wrote: Sun 02 Apr, 2023 6:16 pm Keep us posted with how you go Faith, I’m going to be doing similar in about 6 months.
Will do, wish me luck haha. I still haven’t started the process, have you?
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

Haha, 5 months later and I still haven’t started either. I have a few little things I’ll need to fox first before I even think of talking to an engineer.