Day trip to the snow is now to Walhalla Saturday 8th Septemb

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

cj!

Re: Day trip to the snow is now to Walhalla Saturday 8th Septemb

Post by cj! »

Bill, have you worked out what tracks you're looking at doing and which train ride? I don't know if we'll be at Maccas at 8am so we might have to catch up to you. Marion's just arrived back and she is pretty stuffed from her trip and has to go in to work tomorrow so she isn't to keen on such an early start on Saturday. Between the flu, jetlag and working she's fairly tired.

Did you get to pick up the Jeep today?
cj!

Re: Day trip to Walhalla Saturday 8th September 9am Pakenham Mac

Post by cj! »

Now meeting at 9am at Pakenham Maccas
Belly

Post by Belly »

Thanks for another great trip guys, we had a ball.
How do we post pics?...especially of the jeep and the baby food!
Belly & Deb
cj!

Post by cj! »

We had a great day out. The kids loved the train ride and Walhalla was looking very picturesque especially with all the blossom out. We had a BBQ lunch(they have free BBQ's by the playground) and kids had a play before we headed off. After talking to one of the local shopkeepers we thought we would do a loop via the Aberfeldy bridge which is burnt down but apparently the river crossing was going to easy and then over the Thomson Dam wall and home. we also commented to him about the water level of the creek though town and he said it was about 8 feet higher a week or two earlier. Well a change of plans was needed as the road was closed and gated so continued on our way with a slightly increased loop needing to be made. Eventually we turned off on to Army Track and started quite a nice steep descent. When it levelled out somewhat we got out and aired down as we were experiencing a bit of loss of traction with road pressures ;) Heading on down again we had a good drive with some steep descents and climbs and river crossings working our way around and out a couple of hours later and headed to the Thomson Dam where we aired up. It was a nice relaxed day out that I think everyone enjoyed and we also managed to get the Jeep wet and dirty too. Needs some lift though as the rampover is not great at the moment.......and some 20" spinners :mrgreen:
Attachments
SANY0125.JPG
SANY0122.JPG
cj!

Post by cj! »

More pics.
Attachments
SANY0137.JPG
SANY0128.JPG
SANY0127.JPG
cj!

Post by cj! »

and more.
Attachments
SANY0134.JPG
SANY0133.JPG
SANY0130.JPG
cj!

Post by cj! »

and even more.
Attachments
SANY0154.JPG
SANY0144.JPG
cj!

Post by cj! »

Belly wrote:
How do we post pics?...especially of the jeep and the baby food!
Belly & Deb
Click on the upload attachments tab below the message box. You can only upload a max of 3 at a time and I think there is a 1Mb limit on pic size so you may have to resize them. The other way would be to upload them to hosting site like Photobucket or similar and copy the links into the message.
cj!

Post by cj! »

Basically our route was to follow the road out of Walhalla and stay on it as it changes names to Binns Road then we turned into Army Track then Dry Gulley Track then Fultons Track then back on to Walhalla Road and on to the Thomson Dam wall and home. The river crossings would require some care and snorkels in places if the level rose much. Talking to the local he said a lot of the tracks are still closed around the area and in fact some new, stronger gates have gone up as idiots have been pulling them down to get through. they have also been having problems with circle work in the camping area at the north end of town and people cutting the bollards off. I also saw that at least one of the Deep Creek tracks was gated but can't remember which one. He also described a nice little drive from Coopers Creek to Maiden town and down Slaughter House track into Walhalla.

You could see some regrowth from the fires but nothing in way of wildlife was spotted.
andrew_wale

Post by andrew_wale »

Sounds like an excellent day.. Bummer my car is stuffed..
Will find out the damage tomorrow... From what the mechanic has told me, the gears that drive the oil pump shaft were very warn and needs replacing. Could be other parts required though...

Anyway, from the photos, I missed a great day. :x