1.3 running temp

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

jonfromhamilton

1.3 running temp

Post by jonfromhamilton »

Anyone know the normal running temp range for a g13 is?
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: 1.3 running temp

Post by gwagensteve »

Pretty sure they run an 88deg thermostat, if that helps.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
jonfromhamilton

Thats around the figure i found on the net but no one seems to havena figure on the temp just what the thermostats open at.
My sierra can run sub 70 on a cool day but early last year when it was hot and before i had a digital guage it overheated. Yet to drive it on a hot hot day to see where it gets to.
The days temperature seems to have a big influence on the running temp
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Operating temp should be close to thermostat opening temperature. The further operating temperature is from thermostat opening temp, the less headroom you have in the cooling system, which is what you seem to be finding.

I dislike digital/secondary temperature gauges for exactly the reason you've pointed out - it's showing a number but you have no way of knowing if that number is in the normal range.

Where was the standard gauge sitting when the car overheated?

Time to go back to first principles: Is the cooling system holding pressure, is the water pump in good condition, is the cooling system properly bled, is the radiator in good condition, is the thermostat working properly, put a vitara viscous fan on it.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
jonfromhamilton

I am trying to avoid the water pump for now $$$
When i was running it at 75 degrees the needle showed about 3/4 of the scale.
When it overheated the needle was wound off the scale.
Otherwise i have noticed nothing wrong with the radiator etc.
I will take it for a spin the next 35+ day and see
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Interesting.

Normal would be around 1/3 to just under 1/2 on the stock gauge.

If I assumed the stock gauge is "accurate" it's running hot all the time, which makes sense if it overheated on a hot day

Have you confirmed the accuracy of digital gauge? Where is it positioned in the cooling system? Is anything at all non-standard about the cooling system?

Steve.
jonfromhamilton

Its just after the thermostat housing. Another bolt temp sender is on one of the 8mm bolts on the thermostat housing which normally runs 5-6 degrees cooler