Kosciuszko National Park

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

Phantomzook

Kosciuszko National Park

Post by Phantomzook »

On the weekend of the 1st of December a mate in a troopie, Ross and myself+ kids camped on the Murray at Tom Groggin station. Tom Groggin Station being the place it is believed A.B. "Banjo" Patterson is thought to have met Jack Riley and been inspired to write one of our most famous bush poems.
We only really touched on some of the tracks but could recommend the climb up MT Pinnibar on Shady Creek Trk (big ruts some ledges and bog holes) The main circuit of Davies Plain Trk also has a dead end trk called Kings Plain (steep) that lead to a nice camp ground on a remote part of the Murray.
Davies Plain Hut had good camping grounds with impressive fire dens hot plates billy swings and toilets.
Tom Groggin camp grounds on the river also had toilets.
Fishing was above average, trout are always entertaining.

As far as I can tell the summit of Pinnabar is open all year and at just over 1700mtrs some trips failed the summit in early may of this year (Opposite Lock Albury).

Corryong is about the closest on the north side with fuel and all supplies and is about 1.5 hrs from Wodonga.
4.5 hrs from Melbourne
Attachments
Pinnibar Summit
Pinnibar Summit
Murray crossing
Murray crossing
Davies Plain Hut
Davies Plain Hut
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Re: Kosciuszko National Park

Post by mightymouse »

And a good long weekend+ it was too- except for the f#$%^$% flies during daylight hours.

Would make a great club trip next year, either during winter where it would probably be HARD or later after the snow is gone where its probably medium because of some of the climbs.

If your junk won't do 100KPH for half a day up and then back then its a bit far and you really need say 4 days to make it all worthwhile but its a good area to drive and some really impressive scenery.

And I can confirm that fish were actually caught, inspite of me blinking and missing Daryls - "the one that got away".