Adventre tour '08 Planning

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Adventre tour '08 Planning

Post by gwagensteve »

Adventure tour will be running on Labour Day 2008, the 8th, 9th and 10th or March.

Now we have a proper Members only forum, I'd like to open up the trip planning up to particiapants. (hereon known as Adventuretourers)

Sooo... where to go.

Format will be as per previous years, so the following rules apply:

No massive 10 hour road trips to get to the start. Our junk won't make it.
We don't want to run fully packed for camping - water, all food, firewood etc, so -
Overnighting must be at somewhere with limited facilities - on site vans/cabins/cheap motel accommodation ideal, but tenting or something is OK provided we can have a shower and get some food.
The evening meal must be purchasable. I don't want to cook.

The finish point must be relatively close to melbourne. by the end of day 3, we're stuffed, so 6 hour return drives are out of the question.

Vehicle - Please prepare your car so there are no obvious big issues. Bringing junk is fine, I will, but understanding what's junk and how to fix it is important. It is very important to bring out totally untested and unique modifications, preferably only driven on tarmac before the trip. This is the spirit of the tour. however, 31" tyres are the bare minimum and one locker is mandatory for sierras. for bigger cars, I strongly recommend twin lockers. Generally, cars with 31's struggle a bit so bear this in mind.

Standard - It doesn't all have to be hard, but each day must have enough genuinely hard tracks that we don't run out of stuff to do. Last year, day one was limited due to closures, but we found one track in particular we spent most of the day on.

Ideas- well, Disappointment looks like it's out. Toolangi has been done to death and there's not much there if it's dry. (likely) We had some fun in Narby this year, and the Black spur pub was very accommodating, but it's all well known. Gembrook has been pretty much written off (but there are apparently some "secret tracks")

Cobaw and Tallarook look a bit easy, Pyrenees - too isolated to get in three days of driving without mega road kms?

Labertouche? Neerim? Walhalla? Tyers? (and if so, does that mean a friday night run down the valley?

Fire up Adventuretourers! give us some ideas.

PS - i'd still like to, one year, do proper "tour team" T-Shirts/stickers, only for actual participants, for a small cover charge. I'd be proud to wear one. What do you think?

PPS - the Adventure tour is only for PAID club members. It's not open to driving visitors, but passengers are fine. please ocnsider this before you suggest opening it up and boosting participation. I have run inter club events and general club events and like the exclusivity of the tour staying in the club.

Remember... what happens on tour stays on tour ;)

Lastly, who's in?

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
cj!

Re: Adventre tour '08 Planning

Post by cj! »

The idea of a t-shirt is cool and quite doable, I reckon go for it.

Neerim seems to providing some hard stuff at the moment and there is food etc in the area. Some of the Deep Creek tracks around Walhalla are open but not all due to the recent flood damage but from what I can tell it has possibly made them even harder. More tracks should be cleared and open by then too. Maybe Friday night head down to the Walhalla area, maybe stay around Rawson or Erica for the night then do Deep Creek tracks Saturday and then work back to town over the weekend via Tyers and Neerim. The only issue may be needing to carry enough fuel for the Saturday and Sunday before reaching Neerim or Noojee to fill up for the Monday.

As mentioned at the last meeting it may also be an opportunity for Pat Callinan to come on a drive and get to cover some more built vehicles.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

some feedback from greg:

Greg's Listing of the best tracks in Gembrook (in no particular order)
1. Andersons (rutted climb)
2. Track off Andersons (bog hole, muddy rutted climb)
3. Cypress (insane in the brain)
4. Sunset (little bit of original track)
5. Cypress Other Climb (even more insane - steep erroded hill climb will lots of exposed boulders to climb over and around - like under the power lines)
6. Closed off entrance to Goanna Track - used to be a very steep climb of about 15 meters up a hill that has been dozed - someone will have driven it by now though - in which case it could be very technical and steep.
7. 2 scouts - the classic start to many a gembrook trips
8. Powerlines section with the ruts - where we took many a photos of noel's car on its first AT and always get the ski rope out to cross the last rut
9. Walkers - assuming it can be gotten onto again.

I think the Rocky Track you are referring to could be Rocky Track in Labertouche (just east of Gembrook)... it's shown in the maps of the area - Chris Leonard and Paul Mac know where it is and have driven it several times i think.

Now, I know that greg only wheels in his shed, so I am aware he has old information.

I am aware that Walkers is gone, but also thought that Cypress hill was gone and it is now offically forbidden to drive under the powerlines.

Can anyone give us some more accurate Gemmy information?

Steve
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
sierrajim

Post by sierrajim »

Narby - Warburton day 1 Stay in Warburton
Warburton to Neerim Day 2 Stay Noojee/Neerim
Neerim -Gembrook day 3

Powerlines - they've started to barricade off the access points. I assume there will be signs in place in the not too distant future to "officialize" the no go zone.

Cypress - isn't this closed off now?
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I would be interested to see Bill's information on Neerim.

I don't mind the sound of your plan Jim.

Steve.
cj!

Post by cj! »

gwagensteve wrote:I would be interested to see Bill's information on Neerim.
Youngs Track extension off Beards Rd and Fenceline extension as well.
cj!

Post by cj! »

gwagensteve wrote:

I think the Rocky Track you are referring to could be Rocky Track in Labertouche (just east of Gembrook)... it's shown in the maps of the area - Chris Leonard and Paul Mac know where it is and have driven it several times i think.
We did it the on the Labertouche trip.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

cj! wrote:
gwagensteve wrote:

We did it the on the Labertouche trip.
With a trailer on :roll:
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

No trax under powerlines are legal now. Only the few major roads that cross it are legal. One huge area is actually being gated and fenced off. (Where we found the G's headlight surround)
Most of the open trax are easy, unless wet.
Cypress, 2 scouts and that whole area are out of bounds for 4wd's.
I believe Sunset has been permanently closed, but have not seen this for myself.

Walkers doesn't seem to be listed closed anywhere, but it was dug up for many kilometres when I saw it last.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
sierrajim

Post by sierrajim »

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/phpBB2/vi ... p?t=122748

Sounds like it could be a fun track. The guy could however be a winch weilding GQ driver on 32" All Terrains.