'95 Sierra: setting up suspension to clear 31's

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: '95 Sierra: setting up suspension to clear 31's

Post by gwagensteve »

I reckon 4.9's would be pretty sweet with 235 75's.

As much as anything, I think that 5.1/6.5's would be too low off road to be of much use with a 28/29" tyre.

Yes, you can drive the car in high range without a problem - it's not ideal, but lots of people have run those tyres with standard gearing. You'll notice that the car won't pull away as well, but it won't be terrible.

Off road on flattish/easy terrain it will also still be fine. Steep or difficult terrain would be a pain though.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
davidsuzuki

Post by davidsuzuki »

Cool, sounds good Steve.
Unfortunately when I was checking the fit I forgot to check if the tyres were going to hit the front bumper outrigger and the seams in the wheels arches. If I just get the car up on the hoist again and then prop up the axle so its hitting the bumpstop, and then turn the steering wheel to its full extent in both directions that would be the best way to check wouldn't it?
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

When I had 235/75 15s on -13 rims they cleared the outrigger, but needed a bumpstop spacer to clear the wheel arch. Even with the seams hammered they just rubbed without it.
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

do a massive jump and while you are in the air turn the wheel full lock and listen for a slight rubbing when you land.