Tyre Options....

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Tyre Options....

Post by gwagensteve »

They don't - don't know anybody that would run them on a rim that wide.

When you say 32" do you mean the 31 10.5 or the 32 9.5? The 32 9.5 'pede is EXACTLY the same size as the 34 9.5 swamper - (as in spirit level perfect exactly the same size...)

pede's do have a speed and load rating, at least making the car more sort of legal, but IMHO they are noisier than swampers and don't ride or handle any better, despite being a radial.

I have definitely seen pede's do some amazing things when it's wet, but they hate rock and don't work as well in summer as a swamper.

Just my observations.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
cj!

Post by cj! »

mightymouse wrote:The 32" pedes look interesting but why do they need a 10.5" rim ?
Huh? Where did you see that requirement? Are you sure that you are not confusing the tyre section width with rim width?

The ET's are all bias ply as far as I know, it's only the Simex MT that is a radial.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Ross, I think Greg has his 34's on stock vitara rims (15X5.5) ATM. the offset of these rims would give you the best case scenario for scrub radius and therefore clearance at the firewall and "tuck" into the guards the best.

Whether you decide to go with a swamper or not, it might be useful to throw one on to get a feel for where your clearance problems are with a tyre over 32"

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

Yep its the section width not rim width :oops: misinterpreted the data.

Can't remember what offset I am running but the Vitara is 25mm positive from memory, so could pose a top ball joint clearance issue.

Still a test fit certainly beats speculation - are they at his place or "in the back of the shed" ? I knew there were advantages to having the same bolt pattern :D
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

They're at his place, not in the Kinglake laboratory :D

Yeah, they're 25P, but we're only talking a 5.5" rim - it's only 3.7" of backspace - I would have thought you'd have at least that ATM.

Steve.
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

Interco stress the importance of running optimum tyre pressures on Swampers for road use - but provide no information on determining what that actually is.

What's pressures are you running on what size Swamper ? - also whats your GVM ?

Do you run tubes - are they necessary for a medium weight vehicle ?
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Admittedly my mongrels are retreads on old carcasses, but this has caused 2 of them to go flat thru bead leaks rather than bead come offs.
The other 2 have never let me down, or themselves.
So I've fitted simex heavy duty tubes to the offending tyres, and that has been great since.
If using simex hd I recommend drilling the rim hole and fitting the sleeve provided, as I damaged a valve stem before doing this, and have no probs since.

My khumo muds were brilliant, got many years out of them, and were acceptable on road and great off road.

Only driven on MTR's once, on dry rocks, and loose scree, andwas quite impressed.
Made little noise on most tarmac, but strange loud noise on some road types???

christover
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I'll give you an idea:

I think Greg ran his 34 9.5's around 25 on road on the green car.

I run my 9/34 16's at 35 front 30 rear (welded rear, helps them slip and keeps the rolling resistance down)

I think Michael runs his 78's at between 20 and 25.

I ran my Q78's at about 30 on road in the G, and my 36 12.5 SX's about the same.

A tough of experimenting will be the order of the day. I would have said 25-30psi for your car Ross, depending on the balance between crossply "drift" and harsh ride, and noise.

Steve.