Wine Dinner - Tuesday 22nd September

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Wine Dinner - September - EOI at this stage.

Post by gwagensteve »

I don't know exactly where the theme will go yet. If people nominate a challenge wine, and maybe a favourite style/variety/producer, regardless of how vague or humble, we can see where we end up- the theme might work itself out.

For example- let's say someone says they can't stand Sauvignon Blanc- so we have a pouilly fume or a Sancerre to show that SB can be a complex and enjoyable wine.

Someone else says they love fruity Shiraz, so there's a Barossa Shiraz in the mix, but they can't stand Chardonnay- so we put in a main ridge or a Chablis to show that Chardonnay isn't all overblown and oak.

I'm sure with an open mind and peoples preferences we can work out a pretty decent lineup.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Wine Dinner - September - EOI at this stage.

Post by gwagensteve »

OK, things just got a little more complicated re the date.

We could do a Friday or Saturday, but the cost will increase.

If we can get numbers for a Tuesday, I'd be happy to keep it at that, we can keep the cost down and we'll get better service. Friday/Saturday you'd have to factor in at least a $15-20 increase in cost per head.

So it's time for a roll call. Please specify preference and challenge wine .

Please note the "challenge" wine is just a guide to provide some structure. We might not be able to fit it in the lineup, but if we get some overlap we'll try and work it in.

Person Date preference Challenge wine
Steve - Preference would be early in the week- Natural wine
Seonaid - Preference would be early in the week - Dry Champagne
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
neofitou

Re: Wine Dinner - September - Roll call and date preference

Post by neofitou »

any day with plenty of notice. we are booked up until August so anything in September is fine.
I'm usually busy Tuesdays but can miss out with notice in advance.
lbzook
Financial Member

Post by lbzook »

Day doesn't bother us at all, as for wine challenge, don't really have anything that I can think of, we'd be happy with anything really
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

OK team

Let's make this thing happen.

I'm nominating Tuesday the 22nd September

Attendees:

Phil as Host
Neo + Erin
Leigh + Liz
Steve + Seonaid
Greg + Fel
Michael + Amy

That's a quorum :D There's probably room for one or two more people if anyone is keen.

Still give some thought your challenge wine. I've already had my prejudice messed with - I was at a tasting at Mezzo on Saturday and there was a lovely Granache (my original challenge wine!) that was made naturally, and it was lovely. Hmm. Might have to think a bit more about this.
Greg

Re: Wine Dinner - Tuesday 22nd September

Post by Greg »

Tuesday 22-Sep is fine for us.

Fel Challenge - Tempranillo - not because she dislikes it, but to sample a really good one.
Greg Challenge - Victorian White Wine - i'm convinced that it is all terrible. Actually - most white wine is terrible.

Additional Requests:
Tips for palate preparation / refreshing - I must be doing the wrong thing here because I struggle to taste any differences once I get past 2 different wines. i.e. like trying to smell fragrances at myer - after two - they all smell the same.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

OK team,

I'm now calling this full.

Phil as Host
Neo + Erin
Leigh + Liz (No challenge wines)
Steve (Natural Wine) + Seonaid (dry champagne)
Greg (Australian and/or White)+ Fel (Tempranillo)
Michael + Amy
Mick + Caitlin

Excellent! This is going to be a cracker of a night.

Stay tuned for payment details - you'll need to pay before the event.

OK, the challenge wine thing is looking a little soft. We can make this dinner anything we like... so what do people love? what did you drink once somewhere and were amazed with?
lbzook
Financial Member

Post by lbzook »

Now that Greg mentions it, I agree on the white wine thing. Not that they're bad, but I've never come across one that has really blown me away.
I've had some Spanish and South American wines that I would love to experience really good examples of.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Awesome. So we can work on a couple of representative quality whites and Tempranillo will cover of Fel and Leigh for Spain.

Cool.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

OK team,

Time to pay up - $120 per head.

Please confirm HERE when you have paid and who for. Please don't forget this step.
Please also let me know of any dietary requirements you have. There's likely to be a set starter so if you don't dig on shellfish or pork or whatever, now is the time to let me know.

If you have any more thoughts about your challenge (or curious, or favourite) wine variety or style, please speak now or forever hold your peace.

Steven Godfrey
Account: 1066 9955
BSB: 064175

This is going to be a cracker of a night.
I like the air of mystery and the idea of the odd challenge wine :o)
Normally I'd know what we're drinking, but I'm in the dark too.