Steering Lock

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Steering Lock

Post by gwagensteve »

Take the column out of the car and use vice grips to to undo the shear bolts that hold the lock to the column. I seriously don't recommend brute force, I've had these apart before and they're not going to break cleanly.

For a long term solution, I'd see if you can get a sierra barrel into the vitara lock.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
jono165
Financial Member

Post by jono165 »

Thanks Steve, Jonno confirmed that he did the same with his also. I wont have a chance to get to it until the weekend so I'll give it a go then.

As I don't have the vitara key its too hard to get the barrel to turn to get it out of the mechanism. I think I might be able to swap the whole sierra lock and switch mechanism onto the vitara column. I might just need to swap over the electrical switching bit for the vitara if its different. I'll sort it out. Pretty keen to get everything going now and talk to an engineer as long as we can work out how to get the steering to clear the radius arms.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I don't think it's possible to swap the mechanism. I looked at this and the two setups are very different. Likewise swapping vitara switching into a sierra column looked really hard.

A dealer might be able to provide the key code to get a key cut from code- more expensive, but maybe the cleanest, most convenient option.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

when are you getting stuck into this project Jon?
I will be up in Narre Warren on saturday so if you're elbow deep in the engine bay I might stop and poke my nose around ?
jono165
Financial Member

Post by jono165 »

Jon, I'm going to wait until after uni exams (I finish on the 20th). But I want to confirm if the plans for the front suspension will work so I can write up a proposal for the engineer before I outlay too much time and cash. I want to do the wiring first and then just slam the engine and gearbox in. Is it weird I'm looking forward to the wiring? I enjoy the electrical side of things.
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

if you're confident about it then it's not weird.
going 4wding is the same, you know it will be challenging but thats why you go.
if you knew you were going to drive over a cliff though... and you still got excited you would be weird lol
Greg

Post by Greg »

Don't get too excited guys. I've wired a car, so it can't be that hard.