19 - 21-Aug-2011 - Snow Trip *PLEASE CONFIRM ASAP*

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

neofitou

Re: 19 - 21-Aug-2011 - Snow Trip - Camping

Post by neofitou »

I will need a seat with someone please. :D

I will arrive on the Thursday which will give me the chance to pick up my hire gear and some provisions on Friday.

Neo
Brad.Jones
Financial Member

Post by Brad.Jones »

gwagensteve wrote: Stuff for Camping:
The smaller the tent the better. I would SERIOUSLY DISCOURAGE anyone from bringing a canvas tent, being cold, bulky and very hard to pitch in snow. Small dome tents are the best.
We are effectively mountain camping and can experience very bad weather, with high winds and snow loading. It is best to beg, borrow or hire at least a rated 3 season tent. Some cheap domes are acceptable, but most will not remain stable in high winds - unstable tent = no sleep.
DO NOT PLAN TO SLEEP IN THE CAR.
Swags are OK if you are an experienced swag camper and are confident in your setup.
The general idea is to pitch the tent on packed down snow and bank the snow up between the fly and the outside to seal in the warm air. This works a treat.
I guess this probably gets asked a fair bit but may I ask why you wouldn't sleep in the car?
Just that it would seem like the perfect place - certainly not going to have to worry about the wind blowing your car away.
Brad Jones - Analyst - http://www.kdis.com.au - 0407 961 903
2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara - 1988 Suzuki Sierra
andrew_wale

Post by andrew_wale »

Brad.Jones wrote:
gwagensteve wrote: Stuff for Camping:
The smaller the tent the better. I would SERIOUSLY DISCOURAGE anyone from bringing a canvas tent, being cold, bulky and very hard to pitch in snow. Small dome tents are the best.
We are effectively mountain camping and can experience very bad weather, with high winds and snow loading. It is best to beg, borrow or hire at least a rated 3 season tent. Some cheap domes are acceptable, but most will not remain stable in high winds - unstable tent = no sleep.
DO NOT PLAN TO SLEEP IN THE CAR.
Swags are OK if you are an experienced swag camper and are confident in your setup.
The general idea is to pitch the tent on packed down snow and bank the snow up between the fly and the outside to seal in the warm air. This works a treat.
I guess this probably gets asked a fair bit but may I ask why you wouldn't sleep in the car?
Just that it would seem like the perfect place - certainly not going to have to worry about the wind blowing your car away.
The car will be colder than a tent.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Bingo.

A car is a steel and glass box that's not insulated. Take wind chill into account and it can be colder inside a car than outside. The door rubbers can freeze up too :D

In a tent with a fly, you can stop the air moving between the fly and the tent (by packing snow around the bottom of the tent) and it can be surprisingly warm inside.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

anyone keen to build an igloo or snow cave? By far the best way to shack up in the snow.

I've built a couple snow caves before but never an igloo. Would be cool to build a good sized one to say sleep 3-4 people.

anyone keen? we will have to bring some tools to make life easier if anyone is keen
neofitou

Post by neofitou »

dank wrote:anyone keen to build an igloo or snow cave? By far the best way to shack up in the snow.

I've built a couple snow caves before but never an igloo. Would be cool to build a good sized one to say sleep 3-4 people.

anyone keen? we will have to bring some tools to make life easier if anyone is keen
Yes.

Proviso: no Baked Beans & Bourbon.

I've built igloos before, but not slept in one. They warm up quite quickly with body heat alone.

I'm still taking my tent, and I might hire a strecher bed to keep me up off the snow as that is the cold bit.
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

When i've been snow camping We use a space blanket, closed cell foam mat, thermarest combo which insulates really well in a tent or cave.

the problem with a stretcher is you'll still need to insulate yourself off the stretcher base as you will lose heat to the air under the stretcher. it'll be probably warmer being on the ground with the above combo.
neofitou

Post by neofitou »

hmm. I was thinking the same thing when I was typing it.
Yes. I should actually be ok with my self inflator and a space blanket, rather than lug my self inflator and a stretcher too!
righto!
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: 19 - 21-Aug-2011 - Snow Trip *PLEASE READ*

Post by gwagensteve »

OK - as discussed at the meeting, we need to confirm solid numbers for this trip in the interests of securing a permit.

Here is the form:

http://d1007367.my.ozhosting.com/upload ... 0Form).pdf

But I will be handling it - I only the posted the link for your information, so you know what I need from you guys.

The key information I need is as follows:

Driver's full Name.
Vehicle make/model
Reg number
No. of passengers.
Your phone #.
The permit doesn't require your phone number, but I need it.

Now, the complication is that we are, kind of, running two trips as I think there will be two groups heading up on separate days, even though we will be heading down the mountain together.

The trip leader (for each group) will have to carry the permit with them, and obviously, be able to present as fairly experienced.

Group 1:

Will head onto the mountain on Friday.
We will leave Jamison on Friday morning. (lets say by 10.00am)
I will be the trip leader for this Group.
Mika is currently confirmed for the Friday
Mitch - are you 100%?

Group 2 will head onto the mountain on Saturday and meet up with the intrepid campers on Saturday morning. I don't have any confirmed Saturday attendees.

Who is in for saturday?
Trip leader?

I am planning accommodation for Saturday night at the pub (that's the court house, not the brewery) or the van park. I haven't made a booking yet. Accommodation bookings for Saturday will be up to individuals to organise. There is a range of accommodation in town. I don't want to try and book numbers/# of rooms etc - it's up to you.

PLEASE PM ME YOUR DETAILS, and leave a message on here for what you are planning. It might help people decide what they want to do.

I would like to lock in numbers by WEDNESDAY - 27th July

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
Brad.Jones
Financial Member

Re: 19 - 21-Aug-2011 - Snow Trip *PLEASE READ*

Post by Brad.Jones »

Okay so I am certainly still interested, and have annual leave already booked out for Friday.

My question is do I need to book out Thursday as well? On the first page of this thread it suggests that we drive up
to Jamison on Friday, sleep Friday night at Jamison and then drive up the mountains on Saturday, camp in the snow Saturday night and return back home on Sunday.

And now you are suggesting that we are sleeping Friday night in the snow.
Has it all been pushed back one day? Or are there now 2 nights in the snow?
Will there be any action on Sunday or is everyone just heading home?

Obviously I wasn't at the meeting so I have probably missed a few things.

Anyway regardless I'll probably just get an unpowered site at the van park
for what would seem like Thursday night and Saturday night.
And tent it for the entire weekend - that way I can afford the petrol... :)

My details as below:
-------------------------
Driver: Brad Jones
Vehicle: 2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Rego: SOU 640
No. of passengers: Just myself at this stage.
Phone Number: 0407 961 903
Brad Jones - Analyst - http://www.kdis.com.au - 0407 961 903
2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara - 1988 Suzuki Sierra