Creepy Crawlers

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

dank
Site Admin

Creepy Crawlers

Post by dank »

Been thinking about getting some bigger rubber for the sierra. I think i'm pretty much over the honey moon stage with my zook, it's got enough banged up panels and dodgy fabrication now to lose the oooh shiney effect.

As there isn't much on the market in a tall skinny over 34" then you may as well go the other way and go Fat. Greg and Mitch have proved that it's a good thing, especially with the krawlers.

I've been offered a brand new set of 35"x12.5-15 Maxxis Creepy crawlers SUPER CHEAP. Close to half the cost of new Krawlers. They are bias ply, measure in about 13" wide and have mega sidebiters. They are quite a heavy tyre and would like to hear or find out how heavy the krawler is to compare. I'd have to run them on pretty much 0psi to get them to work. I'm not sure their pattern would suit thedeep mud we drive sometimes but they would be ok in mixed terrain.

Thoughts? Experiences?
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Creepy Crawlers

Post by gwagensteve »

I'd give them a go. They are one of the tyres I'm considering for blingy.

Mock ran them on his buggy. I think he was pretty happy with them.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

I know a few guys that have run them on bigger vehicles like Rangies and Jeeps. The sidewall is mega thick. I like the overall pattern and the sidewall is probably the most aggressive bar bias treps....I have seen them work in mud when there is power to clear them, like any tyre I guess. I can see them working well on the rock and dirt...

the price is very attractive and they look cool which is the most important thing :mrgreen:
Greg

Post by Greg »

the maxxis site claims they are a full 35" in diameter...

should be a good chance to cut some more stuff off the car dan ;)
sierrajim

Post by sierrajim »

The Creepies were "OK" on the buggy. They cleaned with some wheel speed in dirt/mud and were pretty good on rock.

There don't seem to be many people that buy them a second time.

They don't seem to sit flat on a rim, they always seem to crown which would lead to some funky wear if you do a few k's on the road.

There was a set of 35x12.5-17 Swamper LTB's on Mud Undies last week. Think they were $1000 ish for 5 in Bendigo. I'm up there next weekend if you wanted them looked at/picked up.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I think they are designed to run on a 10" rim. I can't say I've seen any on a 10, but I think that would fix the crowning. I'm not sure I'd be running 10's on a sierra though. Greg initially had his Krawlers on 10's and the overall width and leverage were scary and pretty unmanageable.

Steve.

PS Congrats Jim :D
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

still in two minds about this. I agree with Jimbo that you don't see many sets going second hand for creepys or people buying another set after wearing the olds out. they are cheap, but an even cheaper set of nasty Federals in a 35 might even do the job.... i think I'd feel better once I'd sold my LTBs...might get 250ish a tyre for them. Anyone keen? those 35" ltbs are out of the question. I can't justify another set of rims for the zook.
greyghost
Financial Member

Post by greyghost »

dan.

there really is only one answer, as Greg and i said at the meeting its all about the KRAWLERS :mrgreen:
pirate4x4 wrote:So much hate, you guys never heard of QUADRANGULATION!? This is thinking outside the box, so outside you can not even see the box anymore :)
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

:mrgreen: what can i say to that....the element of truth in your statement in undeniable. They just work so bloody well. I'm surprised, I've had this stigma about BFG tyres for years...overpriced and underperforming, until i've seen the crawlers on the zooks...they aren't great on bigger cars but work so well on the zooks.
Greg

Post by Greg »

you bought these tyres yet Dan??!!

I'm sick of waiting around while you get un-stuck :mrgreen: