12-14 Mar 2011 - AT2011 - Reports and Photos Start Page 6

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

Greg

Re: 12-14 Mar 2011 - AT2011

Post by Greg »

Just got back from the November meeting.

Looks like the consensus is that:
a. there is plenty of interest in the trip
b. labertouche and warburton are likely spots for driving (still need a 3rd day's worth of action)
c. everyone wants to stay in hotel accommodation

the ball is rolling.

i will have a think about what we will need to organise in the coming weeks/months. it will be things like:
1. navigators for each day
2. accom and foodage planning
3. t-shirts vs stickers
4. crazy last minute modifications
5. 35x14 Boggers (obviously i have to match Tim Hardy)
Greg

Post by Greg »

anyone know that status of Neerim vs Toolangi/Narbethong?

I'm envisaging that we can piece together a great day in Warburton. We know that Labertouche/Gemrbook should score us some entertainment. So i think the only issue we have is - do we decide to spend a day in the Toolangi/Narby area, or, do we elect to head down to Neerim.

Both places are about the same distances from the other two locations, so travel time between locations is not really an issue. More just an unknown of track quality and density question i think.

So we are either at:

Saturday: Labertouche
Sunday: Warburton
Monday: Toolangi/Narby

or

Saturday: Neerim
Sunday: Labertouche
Monday: Warburton/Narby

Oh the plus side - we end up around the Yarra Junction/Warby/Black Spur end of things in both these plans so there is good accom and food options in both scenarios.
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

Neerim seems to have a small amount of decent tracks to drive. There could be something in starting from neerim and linking tracks from Noojee through to labertouche then back out to warburton.

Everything will become clear once we prerun the labertouche area next month.
porter.8.luke

Post by porter.8.luke »

Mr Greg
I would say yes for a day.

How ever mount worth is suffering from logging at the moment and as for tracks to drive most are in-passable ( :twisted: )or blocked by trees and large cuttings. Would be good for AT but would have to have a look at a closer date.
Luke
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

Neerim is on the list for AT2011!! Wow, Spent a day up there today with steve125 as well as a few others, the area has more than enough potential to fill a good day for 6-10 well setup rigs. Lots of deep ruts, not much mud, yes even after the rain, Rocky clay type tracks, hills, did I say ruts? :mrgreen:

One Day is Neerim plus travel to a new location would be ideal for AT2011.
Greg

Post by Greg »

dank wrote:Neerim is on the list for AT2011!! Wow, Spent a day up there today with steve125 as well as a few others, the area has more than enough potential to fill a good day for 6-10 well setup rigs. Lots of deep ruts, not much mud, yes even after the rain, Rocky clay type tracks, hills, did I say ruts? :mrgreen:

picks dan - we need pics :)

p.s. dont forget - some of us do have big tyres mate - ruts for your little car may not be ruts for everyone ;)
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

Greg wrote:
dank wrote:Neerim is on the list for AT2011!! Wow, Spent a day up there today with steve125 as well as a few others, the area has more than enough potential to fill a good day for 6-10 well setup rigs. Lots of deep ruts, not much mud, yes even after the rain, Rocky clay type tracks, hills, did I say ruts? :mrgreen:

picks dan - we need pics :)

p.s. dont forget - some of us do have big tyres mate - ruts for your little car may not be ruts for everyone ;)

There will be some pics coming hopefully...relying on others to get them up on the web.

Oh....did i forget to say there were ruts? :P

There is one area with about 5 potential lines with CAVERNOUS, KRAWLER SHOD ZOOK EATING RUTS....Plus a drive up a creek with a rocky, slippery potentially drivable 40+ degree hill. Some say...it cannot be driven....but, I think it's possible. I think Steve got some shots of it. The 5 lines area is Youngs track, it's steep, lots of options. We could spend a good few hours just in this area trying a multitude of crazy lines...If we gett bored we can alway link it into Labertouche.

I'll porbably head up there again with the GPS and mark out a route and post it up. I'll let people know when this will be happening if you want to come for a look.
Greg

Post by Greg »

youngs sounded familiar... i think we did it back in 2008

http://www.vic.suzuki4wd.com/forum/view ... f=10&t=380

that said- no issues with going back again if you think it is worthy. 8-)
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

dank, I've put a short (dodgy) video of the creek with a vertical exit on the clubs photobucket page. Not sure how to post video direct to here.

here is a fuzzy image of the creek

turn left and go up, if you can.

one of the smaller ruts with a ledge at the top

three shots of the last hill

easy ruts centre right, harder ruts centre left, soft gooey ruts far left and far right.

everyone went up here, except dank who took the left option

all these are from the last looping track of the day, we all pretty much took the easiest lines, but there were several spots along this track that were similar to this spot where you had easy, hard and hardest options.
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

Funny those pics of the wheel lifts from AT08 look exactly like the line I took up through that part that steve is on about. I guess if it hasn't been visited since 08 it's probably worth another look.