Steering Stops

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

steve125
Financial Member

Steering Stops

Post by steve125 »

Fitted a set of 7.50 16s on 4.5 inch rims to my WT Sierra. Lifted the body, hammered the seams and cut off the bumper mounts and the tyres clear everywhere except the rear of the front springs. Searching Outers and auszookers I found several references to extending the steering stops but not much on how it is actually done. I can't see a steering stop to extend so is it just case of utilising one of the knuckle joint oil seal bolts and fitting a longer bolt and spacer or is there another way?

Greg

Re: Steering Stops

Post by Greg »

Yep. Remove one of the bolts that hold the seal in (the felt one that goes around the back of the knuckle) and replace with a longer bolt that will sit proud.

the easiest way to do this is by fitting a longer bolt with a 'spacer' nut screwed all the way on, then put the bolt in place.

at full lock, that bolt will hit the axel tube and stop you from steering any further.

it's a bit crude, but much easier than moving the springs or notching the chassis to get those tyres in there.
steve125
Financial Member

Re: Steering Stops

Post by steve125 »

thanks for that, looks like another trip the Costless Bolts (I was there on Saturday, and Monday, plus the week before last).