Post Fires Cleanup Sunday 15 February

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

cj!

Post Fires Cleanup Sunday 15 February

Post by cj! »

Given the state of devastation after the fires this last weekend we are looking at running a cleanup day this Sunday if access is available and conditions are safe. The idea is to be at Yarra Glen by 9am and then to head up to Kinglake starting at Steve & Seonaid's place and see what we can do there and then working our way around wherever we can lend a hand. This is also been done with the 3rd Rock 4x4 Club. By doing it as a Club trip we will have our normal insurance in place. Bill is at the FWDV Board meeting tonight and will update us with what comes out of that.

Please post up if you will be available and we will keep you updated if we are able to go ahead. it would be nice to see a good turnout for this and we will try and sort some carpooling.
andrew_wale

Re: Post Fires Cleanup Sunday 15 February

Post by andrew_wale »

Happy to lend a hand etc.
If required, I can be available

But isn't this a little to close to the fires?
Only a week after the fires.

Police & CFA will still be around investigating causes etc.
cj!

Post by cj! »

I agree but I was asked to post this up. Just been talking to Steve and no doubt he will update everyone but at this stage it looks like it will still be closed for a while longer.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

See my post in "the fires" thread in "the campfire" page.

I do not believe there will be access by the weekend, nor will it be clear what is there to be done.

IMHO, I would not want anything removed from my property at all until it had been assessed for insurance purposes.

Please dont think I am try to discourage people from helping or that I may need that help myself, I just think this Sunday might be a touch soon.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
billbarbas

Post by billbarbas »

At this stage, we have been advised that we will be able to get into Kinglake. I will keep everyone posted. Please note that financial members only for liablility issues. We will know closer to Friday where were at.

The Rural Response Group is headed by Doug Hammerton of the Paj Club, he has close links with the Cfa and Ses and will be the major contact re strategy along with Louise at 4wd Vic.
At this stage, the strategy is for individual clubs to cleanup areas where possible.

A unified response will be conducted later. 26 clubs rang and registered yesterday to help.

We must formally register, Lloyd you need to make a phone call. I have informed Doug we are in, but an official call needs to be made.
Greg

Post by Greg »

gwagensteve wrote:IMHO, I would not want anything removed from my property at all until it had been assessed for insurance purposes.
i work for an insurance company.

the prior weeks fires around boolara claimed 29 homes - these claims were still being initialised (phoned in) 5 days after those fires. I expect that the processing (assessing) of these is still going on now.

the larger number of places from these most recent fires will take a whole lot longer.

i.e. if 29 houses = 5 days or more. 290 houses = 50 days. etc...

also, the floods in FNQ will mean that insurance companies will be less able to bring assessors from interstate down to here to get the job done quicker - their resources will be stretched.

regarding getting into kinglake - I agree with steve - i doubt if there will be access to the area by this weekend. there would be far too many dangers (trees falling etc), and if marysville is closed off like a crime scene as they are stating on the news, i expect kinglake will be the same.
cj!

Post by cj! »

UPDATE

I spoke with Bill earlier and he has asked me to post an update.

Access to Kinglake will not be possible this weekend BUT there is a need for 4wds with trailers to help get feed out to livestock in the Mt Dissappointment area this weekend. Please let us know if you can help with tow vehicles, trailers or just yourself.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

My car won't be ready, and I doubt my present health would allow me to help out.
But my trailer and hitch is available if anyone wants to use it.
cheers
christover
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
Lloyd
Financial Member

Post by Lloyd »

The call to 4wdvic has been made.Lloyd.
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »