The fires

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

cj!

The fires

Post by cj! »

It was just as well the trip was cancelled yesterday considering the state of the fires. Steve and I were in the shed in Kinglake and saw the plumes of smoke in the distance but there was nothing close to us so we had no real concern. Later in the day (around 6ish) we lost power so decided to call it a day and head home. A fire had just broken out at Dixons Creek which was on my way home. As I got closer the smoke was getting pretty heavy and eventually I came across a road block so I had to turn around. I thought I would try heading back to Kinglake but as I was driving there, the smoke got so heavy that day had turned to night and it was pitch black and then there were embers flying across the road and fires in bush. The wind was very strong bringing down branches. The smoke was getting pretty bad in the car as the soft top doesn't seal as well as a hard top so I decided to turn back to the Melba. The speed with which conditions had changed was amazing. I ended up heading to Yea and then to Seymour and down the Hume where there was a detour at Broadford to Kilmore and then back on the Hume at Wallan. Looking back across you could see a long line of fire across the countryside.

It's turned out to have been a very bad day so I hope all your family and friends are safe.
robsjimny
Financial Member

Re: The fires

Post by robsjimny »

Good to hear nowhere near Steve's.

Rob
cj!

Post by cj! »

We'll have to wait and see what is left once access in is available again. Apparently Kinglake experienced the worst of the firestorms :shock: The CFA map shows Steve's as being well and truly inside the burnt area :cry:
Phantomzook

Post by Phantomzook »

From all reports this morning you were very lucky CJ, right in the worst of it.
Our thoughts are with Steve and Seonaid during this difficult time.
Thankfully I heard they spent the night safe with friends in Eltham.

Daryl and family
robsjimny
Financial Member

Post by robsjimny »

CJ when you speak to them next let them know if help is needed many would help from the club.
zookstir

Post by zookstir »

Sunday morning reports for Kinglake sound pretty grim. Just hope Steve and Seonaid's property is among the "lucky" ones.
Thinking of you both.
Sounds like cj was fortunate in getting out of there alive!

Bruce.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Thanks everyone for the calls and texts of support.

We're pretty sure the property has been destroyed.

Once Cj and I left and were turned around heading towards Dixon's creek, I headed back towards Kinglake as there were plenty of people there when I went through.

There was a least one house on fire on the Mt Slide road and about 400m from town or so the fire was raging across the road, so I had to turn around.

It took me a fair while to get back to Eltham as I had to go via Yea, Broadford, Kilmore and Wallan - I made it back to Eltham at 10.00pm.

Thankfully, due to the (stalled) renovations, we are living with Seonaid's sister in Eltham so we haven't lost eveything - we have enough to get us through and have somewhere to stay. There are many many people through that area who are far worse off than us - I caught up with our neighbours in Yea - they drove down to Healesville for a swim and on the way back couldn't get home. Potentially they have the clothes they're in.

Unfortunately though, the shed along with Piggles, the Gwagen, my 1.3 LWB tub, Cj's build and Tanya's hard top (that was still at my place) will probably have been lost, along with all the tools, parts etc - all of which can be replaced or rebuilt.

Ironically, the CFA talk continuously of fire plans and leaving early, but there was no warning or threat to Kinglake - and no indication there was anything unusual going in Kinglake until we lost power at 5.00pm - even then, I rang Seonaid to get an update from the CFA website and there were no specific threats. The situation escalated so quickly it was impossible to prepare or plan for.

Anyway - in the next couple of days we'll find out where we stand. Once again, thanks for your calls and messages.

Cheers,

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
Phantomzook

Post by Phantomzook »

Just trying to offer a small glimmer of hope.

My cousin lost their house but there shed survived and it was surrounded by bush that burnt. (Kinglake West) They figure it passed through so fast that the shed just didn’t take.
There only warning was a neighbour ringing them to tell them to run now. They were listening to a scanner thankfully.

They got trapped in town and managed to help friends save their house.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

The shed's the only thing worth saving Daryl.

We can hope.... :D

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

That's both good and bad news about your cousin Daryl.

In my case, the shed's the only thing worth saving... we can hope.... :D

We're probably very lucky the power went out when it did or we would have still been working away in the shed and there would have been no clear way to escape. If we'd left it another 1/2 an hour or so it would have become VERY worrying.

Steve.