Info - rear disk calipers with handbrake

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Info - rear disk calipers with handbrake

Post by mightymouse »

For those after a rear disk caliper WITH a built in handbrake that operates on the disk pads ( not a separate small drum ) there are a few options out there - I'm no expert but Subaru and Nissan are commonly mentioned, and I haven't checked every possible application.

Many of the larger Nissan vehicles shared variants of the same caliper.... a single piston /sliding caliper /rotary cam handbrake unit, particularly found on the old boxy Skylines.

The "old Skyline" units are readily available at wreckers but the handbrake cable runs parallel to the chassis, at least on the ones I looked at - If however you get a 180sx/200sx/Sylvia one instead, the cable is at right angles to the chassis and tucks in behind the diff housing ( along with the caliper ) very nicely - giving more protection to the whole system.

Obviously this is not a bolt on conversion....... a mounting plate is required to pick up the acorn housing/brake backing plate bolts and carry the caliper.

But as the caliper is designed for rear use it doesn't suffer the bias problems of a recycled front caliper and of course has the handbrake built in. Cables are satisfactory as is ( for the Feroza anyway.... ) but would be too short for a long wheelbase. Perhaps the old Skylines might have longer cables than the 180/200/Sylvia so worth a look.

It would also appear that at least some of the older "Z" cars also used this caliper, and maybe the base model 350Z judging from the pad interchange guides I have. The 350 Z Track versions use Brembo calipers ( way too good for a Feroza.... ) but their handbrake is next to useless - this I know for a fact........

Now if only an uprated front caliper was as simple.......
christover1
Financial Member

Re: Info - rear disk calipers with handbrake

Post by christover1 »

My rear discs are Nissan Pintara rears, which I believe may be same as Skyline?.
One type fitted are not an easy swap, not sure of year/type, but they have heat sink fins on them.
(I didn't make my conversion, but was told this by the creator of my disc conversion)

I'm extremely happy with them, on a LWB Sierra.
I am using the hand brake cables and lever from the same car the calipers came off.

Narrow track zooks need to consider caliper clearance to the chassis, especially if longer travel suspension is fitted.
On mine they are positioned rotated rearward to solve this issue.
Only issue caused is the need to undo caliper bolts, in order to swing bleed nipple into correct position for bleeding.

Discs rule :)

christover
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

The Pintara calipers ( the ones that I have anyway ) are different from those I've used.

The Pintara one has the same general principle of internal operation but has the handbrake mechanism parallel to the chassis - which wasn't what I wanted. Th old Toyota drums had the cables exiting the front of the backing plate and running parallel to the chassis. They were a PITA to bend across to the handbrake lever on a SWB and were very vulnerable.

Using a disk with a very small "hat" section gets the whole caliper virtually inside the wheel - but then again I'm running zero offset to keep the wheel bearings happy and get zero scrub radius. Big offset would expose more caliper, but as your making carrier plates a bit of caliper rotation helps.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

The hand brake cable was a challenge.
yes its parallel to chassis, rear pulling, and my cable runs over and loops back round.

I'm not certain, but I think WT Zooks Handbrakes are centre pull along axle housing... but I could be wrong. But that would make your calipers a better choice.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

Just to broaden out the discussion

What discs are you using Chris ? Where did the kit/conversion come from ?

I believe Lloyd is using zook fronts up the back and a commercial kit but haven't seen it yet. I assume he's running a tcase park brake so its probably good for Sierra's but not for a Vit or other.

Not a great fan of tcase drum handbrakes, my lj ones worked well WHEN they worked. cj!'s tcase disk would be an improvement but if the calipers already got the mechanism - why not use it, and you can run fiddle brakes.
Now that takes me back........

Obviously the details of Nissan calipers on a HiAce/Hilux/Feroza diff with F300 solid front disks ( well recycled actually ) isn't going to help the non mechanically inclined zook owner so other info welcome.

I hate rear drums with a passion - discussion might help others.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Lloyd's using the Trail Tough kit that utilises Sierra front calipers. I'm not sure what he's doing for proportioning.

I too will be interested to see how Chris's transfer mounted disc works. It's not all that cheap though - I think his was USD$249 from Spidertrax. It's not a sel adjusting caliper either.

There's been some other hassles with this kit when fitted by others, according to the instructions, the stay for the cable mounts to the chassis so when the transfer torques up under power the handbrake either applies or loosens. We are using a NT handbrake cable and the stay will be on the case so this shouldn't be a problem for us.

I'm not a big fan of handbrake cables down at the axle - keeping the axle as clean as possible with minimum movable parts down in the muck is ideal IMHO - however, a transfer brake isn't ideal in a car with a selectable locker or open diff - If the car is parked crossed up the handbrake will not be very effective.

Chris will be running a spool, as I am, so the brake should be very effective.

Also note, the effectiveness of a transfer mounted brake depends a bit on diff ratio - a shorter ratio (like 5.12) means a more effective brake.

Not specifically related to your tech Ross, but some observations nonetheless.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

No its all good...... really was "sharing" caliper options - the Feroza stuff is simply consequential.

Proportioning using front calipers is certainly an issue to be addressed, haven't had a wet day to do a panic stop so can't absolutely vouch for the balance yet and I'm not at work so cant use the brake dyno to get numbers but will in the new year.

Another issue to be considered is the disk diameter - i'm running larger diameter than the Nissan application so I've got a different caliper/disk lever ratio which changes the brake effectiveness again.

Trying to calculate it all gives me a headache...... sometimes suck it and see has a place. Had a "chat" with one of the Pacifica ( thats PBR.... which is now Bosch ) brake application engineers and he pretty much confirmed this - especially with ABS systems getting the balance right is no longer quite so important so much of the "art" has been removed and replaced with technology.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

mightymouse wrote:Just to broaden out the discussion

What discs are you using Chris ? Where did the kit/conversion come from ?
discs are stock Sierra.
Most, nearly all the kit and fitting was done by a great friend and club member.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH