SatNav modifications

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

SatNav modifications

Post by mightymouse »

Sort of 4WD Tech....

If you have a SD card based Satnav system that runs Windows CE then here's an idea that worked for me....
Pretty much wasted an entire weekend doing it but VERY happy with the end result. ( OziExplorerCE :D :D :D )
Have done this to a couple of different brands now and so far no tears. ( Bill, Joey - we have the same $150 laser units )

Copy your SD card - Don't trash original card.
Install OziExplorer CE on the new card -download is free and is completely functional apart from a "demo Message" and a click every 10 or so minutes )
Delete original SatNav files to free up disk space( BUT note directrory and executable name )
Rename OziExplorer Directory to SatNave directory name
Rename OziExplorer executable to SatNave executable name. ( need to select ARM or MIPS version - delete unneeded )

Bingo - swap cards and when you select satnav instead of your original program OziCE will fire up.....
Obviously you now need OziExplorer compatible maps - but they are out there...... :mrgreen:

Things to watch....

Some SatNavs don't support bigger SD cards 1 GB upper limit seems common. Bigger is better but .......
Use Microsoft ActiveSync ( freeware download ) to copy files - a standard card reader gave me all sorts of problems.

Also managed to bypass fixed menu to get usual WindowsCE - Start Menu - Programs..... this allows for Windows style manual program selection BUT if the battery runs down or the unit is reset this facility is lost until its "refixed" and this requires a PC to do.
This is a technical limitation of Windows CE, having no harddrive CE is stored in flash memory and transfered to RAM when rebooted.

So in the bush it MIGHT cause a problem if you have a major system issue, its unlikely but .....
Given the 1GB card limit on mine, seperate cards seemed the best and most technically robust solution., this way the CE flash issue can't cause problems.

Also transfered all service manuals onto a seperate smaller card with a free PDF reader ( Foxit ).
Its small but you can read what you need with a bit of work. Only for emergencies but usefull.

So - there you go, a VERY satisfactory modification, but its a "at you own risk" modification. Shouldn't cause a problem as your playing with a copied replacable SD card but its your risk.
billbarbas

Re: SatNav modifications

Post by billbarbas »

Love it, dont understand a word your saying, when are you going to do it for me?
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

billbarbas wrote: when are you going to do it for me?
When he talks like that, he does it for me :mrgreen:
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

Gibberish to English.......

Navsystem now can run Navig8r OR OziExplorer. :D

Bill - will copy my setup onto a spare SD that will slot straight in.
Original card - Navig8r and original extras, New Card - OziExplorerCE and original extras

Maps - we'll talk.
billbarbas

Post by billbarbas »

Let me know what I owe you and we will work it out.
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

billbarbas wrote:Let me know what I owe you and we will work it out.
1 GB SD card cost me $15 ( might be able to get cheaper but i've already bought this one ) - will image it tonight. With the new card fitted Its completely transparent to the user - you just click on the "Navigation" button on the screen as usual and OziExplorer loads.
Put the original card in and Navig8r loads... its that simple.

Ozi has MANY functions so it takes awhile to get to use fully but it adds another dimension to GPS - Waypoints, track logs etc etc.

Maps there's a huge range available so you will have to select what areas interest you. Can't fit 3+ GB of maps on a 1GB card....
cj!

Post by cj! »

Zazz have a 3.5" touchscreen Trakmate on sale today for $145.95 + $12.95 P+H which has an SD card and Windows CE 5.0 for those who are interested and get in quick.

http://www.zazz.com.au/index.php
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

Yes - but it MUST run Windows CE 5 or 6 AND MUST run the navigation program from the SD card.

THIS IS IMPORTANT if you want to play with it as described
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

Just hacked the newer version, the Laser - Navig8r M35... same technique and result. :)

Remember each make and model will have its own requirements - what works for one make/model may/maynot work for another.