Front lockrites in vitara's

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

Phantomzook

Front lockrites in vitara's

Post by Phantomzook »

I know I have a soft front end. :cry: With a auto trans, will a locker cause under torque a greater chance of breaking my diff, than dropping a fast spinning front wheel down suddenly. I ask because I recently developed a liking for rocks at Avoca and noticed on film I need more from the front.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Front lockrites in vitara's

Post by gwagensteve »

Hmmm maybe...

I know when CJ's front end (locked) went he wasn't bouncing at all, just steady load, but paul macs went when bouncing. (open)

I think the stock all alloy vit front end isn't up to a locker at all, nor is it up to hard offroad work open or not- they have a number of weak points and unless they are all dealt with it seems breakage is still likely

Unless you step up to steel, I think I would leave the front open, especially if the choice is a lock-rite where you can't disengage it under high load such as when descending.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
Phantomzook

Post by Phantomzook »

Perhaps I should just ( when your available :lol: ) put those cig lockers in my sierra till i sort out a steel front.
Daryl
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

a welded rear in your sierra would do more for your mojo off road than a locker in the front of the vitara- just my opinion.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
cj!

Post by cj! »

gwagensteve wrote:

I know when CJ's front end (locked) went he wasn't bouncing at all, just steady load, but paul macs went when bouncing. (open)
But with mine there was movement at the station. I don't think it would have gone otherwise in that situation. I think an ARB is a better option in the alloy diff than the auto locker though. I have seen some mods and bracing made to the alloy housing to improve its survival chances but at the end of the day the steel housing is the way to go. I thought about going with an auto in the front of the lwb for when I put the ARB in the swb but in the end i decided it wasn't worth it. Daryl, you really need to think how far you are going to build the Vit when you also have the Sierra to play in. I'd be more inclined to get the crawler gears in and call it a day as it's capability will be pretty good for most things and then put the extra money into the Sierra.....after you buy my sliders of course ;)
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I agree CJ.

Steve.
cj!

Post by cj! »

Daryl, any interest in a steel front housing? I have a line on one.
Phantomzook

Post by Phantomzook »

Always. Also have dibs on one from Suziworld but I like the cheap ones the best.