VSS Into 1.0 speedo

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

VSS Into 1.0 speedo

Post by gwagensteve »

As you are aware, Hedgepig, my 1.0 trayback is now rollin' with 660cc of power.

However, one of the outstanding issues I hadn't dealt with was hooking up the VSS or Vehicle speed sensor. All 1.3 on sierra instrument clusters have provision for the VSS in the dash - the easiest way to fit one is to replace the whole speedo drive unit with a vitara one, however, 1.0 sierras do not have provision for a VSS.

I recently modified my 1.0 cluster to take a 1.3 speedo drive (and face) along with a VSS. It basically involves cutting the bejesus out of the back of the speedo, redrilling the mounting holes, and installing a complete trimmed down VSS equipped speedo drive to the 1.0 cluster. the 1.3 speedo unit is 11.5mm shallower, so it needs to be spaced up away from the orginal mounting surface to work.

Other jobs involved in doing this are a new glass has to be cut as the odometer reset knob now sits through the glass, and the highbeam light has to be relocated. I used the (currently redundant :oops:) park brake light - the blue lens from the highbeam in the speedo fits in, and a couple of new wires have to be run.

I'll post some piccies on the W/E, but for those doing EFI swaps that need a VSS signal to get overrun/idle fuel right and to get rid of the check engine light coming on, it proves you can do it without swapping a whole dash unit over and dealing with the hassle.

A side effect is I now have a nice smooth speedo- the 1.0 drive was stuffed and the speedo was bouncing everywhere.
A disadvantage is that the back of the speedo is currently open, so dust ingress will be a problem.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon