Redline synthetic oil

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Redline synthetic oil

Post by gwagensteve »

Some of you may know I've been pretty keen on this stuff for a while but I haven't got around to buying any.
I was in Bursons (West Heidelberg) the other day and saw they had pretty much the whole range on the shelf, so I treated Piggles to some heavyweight shockproof oil.

According to the tech information on it, this stuff flows like 90W - normal gear oil - but has the same impact resistance as 250W :shock: (not 140W.... 250W)

I have a VERY difficult to replace manual gearbox, designed for a very light sierra, which I know I'm expecting a lot of, so I thought investing in the best oil I can was wise.

Apparently, race teams experience very significant (25˚F and more) reductions in temperature running this stuff, and redline claim up to 400,000km service life from it (I'd be happy with 1/10th of that)

I know some of this info will be marketing driven, but I have seen some magazine tests on it and some very knowledgeable guys are happy to vouch for what it can do. (Martin Donnon in Zoom magazine for one)

They do a whole bunch of interesting products like race ATF that's massively heat resistant, shockproof gear oil that flows like ATF but protects like 90W, and water wetter for coolant - a product that I have seen independent dyno data indicating significant coolant temp reductions, they also do some pretty impressive CV grease too, designed for Indy cars.

Sorry to sound like an advertisement, but some of us are trying to overcome problems with pushing factory stuff beyond reasonable limits so any advantage is worth looking into.

Haven't dropped it in yet, planning on gearbox and transfer - I'll let you all know what I find. Might all be snake oil :oops:

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
cj!

Re: Redline synthetic oil

Post by cj! »

I'll be taking a keen interest as I have also heard some very good things about Redline in particular their water wetter and their gear oils and I am also considering using their ATF.
jtraf

Post by jtraf »

Have heard of the water wetter stuff a few times.....

may try it in the Patrol and see if that helps keep temps down on hot days when offroad and you need........forgive me......air con on.........to keep the kids cool of course... :lol:
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

Hmmm . Water wetter that sounds cool ( sorry ).

Will be VERY interested if it works, the Feroza manages to get over hot on cold days. :oops:
andrew_wale

Post by andrew_wale »

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

It's basically a kind of emulsifier that improves the thermal conductivity of water- kinda prevent the water "beading" on internal surfaces of the engine.

I've seen tech articles on it using a twin turbo LS1 on the dyno as the "mule" and it categorically worked.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

Well - I'll try it. Anything that helps the Feroza stay cool ( and its driver indirectly ) is a good thing.

So its off to Bursons.