Australia Day Long Weekend NOW Big River/Rubicon

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

cj!

Australia Day Long Weekend NOW Big River/Rubicon

Post by cj! »

The Australia Day long weekend is Saturday 26th January to Monday 28th January. Looking at going back to the Robe/Beachport area for some more fun in the sand. It was a great weekend away at the beginning of this year and I know that there are a few already keen to repeat it in the new year.

An option would be to go in via Mt Gambier and work our way up from Carpenter Rocks via Canunda to Southend and on to Beachport and then finish in Robe before heading home. Anybody interested in exploring this option?
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Re: Australia Day Long Weekend

Post by mightymouse »

Yep - may as well mix big dessert sand with beach sand - but this time the sunroof stays closed.
Damo1984narrow

Re: Australia Day Long Weekend

Post by Damo1984narrow »

Yep.I'm keen all being well and if I can get a weekend leave pass from my home detention officer. 8-)
cj!

Re: Australia Day Long Weekend - Robe/Beachport area

Post by cj! »

There are a couple of options with this trip. One would be to go to Mt Gambier Friday night and head off Saturday morning from Carpenter Rocks up to Southend or Beachport and stay there for the weekend and do a Nora Creina/Robe run on the Sunday. The other option would be to go to Robe and do run down to Beachport one day and do run up Kingston way the other. Getting somewhere to stay is going to become an issue if we leave it too long so I would like to know who is interested in coming and what you thoughts are.
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

Will go either way. The Kingston / Koorong end was a long expanse of beach to drive on many many years ago, but it may well have changed. Don't know anything about the other side.
Belly

Post by Belly »

Is the 28th actually a holiday, by the way, its ok for all us self employed people but some may find it hard to get the monday off if its not actually a holiday. I thought they stopped giving pro-rata holidays for Australia Day if it didnt fall on a week day?
If we dont go to Tamworth that weekend (country music festival) Deb and I will come along......... I know what you are thinking....COUNTRY MUSIC!!!!!!!
cj!

Post by cj! »

martin

Post by martin »

Marty could be a goer on this, would my standard zook be ok? If so were how and when do you book accomadation or do you just camp somewhere.
andrew_wale

Post by andrew_wale »

This sound great.

I am still on holiday from work.. As this will be a camping trip, will we be based in one location and from there do day trips etc ?
cj!

Post by cj! »

Due to recent unforseen circumstances this trip is now being replaced with a trip to the Big River/Rubicon area that will be run by Daryl/Phantomzook.