1991 auto Vitara as donor vehicle

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

davidsuzuki

Re: 1991 auto Vitara as donor vehicle

Post by davidsuzuki »

Looks like the intake manifold and extractors from a Jimny can be used, along with Jimny ECU and injection setup. A 1995 or later Baleno/Jimny combo might be the way to go.
jono165
Financial Member

Post by jono165 »

To be honest I think thats really overcomplicating it. I believe the only reason suzistore use the jimmy manifold is because late model maruti's with a G13BB use the same air box as a 1.3 sierra, so they just use a maruti part to retain the factory air box and it also puts the thermostat in a better spot. These 2 problems aren't that hard to overcome. Personally, I don't think used jimmy parts are all that easy to come by second hand, but theres baleno's and vitaras in just about every wreckers. It's gonna be so much easier just to keep it all baleno.
davidsuzuki

Post by davidsuzuki »

Yeah. I have spoken to the guy from Suzistore and he pretty much told me what you have said. They mainly do it with G13BB accessories for the sake of neatness and he said something about the Jimny injection setup being preferable. It's at least useful to know some of the Jimny/Maruti G13BB parts are compatible with the G16B.

So I've read over the Baleno build threads again tonight and I'm feeling a bit more confident I can get this done.
I'm pretty keen to start gathering stuff I need for the conversion. Currently thinking:

1. 1999 or later Baleno. I've heard the coil pack models are better than those with distributors and I'm fairly sure anything post '99 will fine. Since I'm not using the transmission from the Baleno I can't see it matters if its auto or manual, correct?
2. 1.6L Engine swap adapter kit (such as the one from LROR) thinking the adapter plate would work but unsure about the engine mounts? Are VL holden mounts the best way to go?
3. Fuel tank from an SJ80 Sierra
4. Is a body lift required?
5. Heavy duty clutch kit? Heard good and bad about this. My Sierra clutch only has 160,000 on it.
6. Vit/Jimny extractors to suit
7. Swift 1.3L thermostat housing
8. Vitara starter motor

Maybe that's enough to make a start :D
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

Distributor baleno engines won't work
You need a slimline special starter motor which I only saw on one th reason AZ or grind down the sierra one
davidsuzuki

Post by davidsuzuki »

Just wanting to clarify before I buy a Baleno; does it matter for any reason if I get an auto or manual transmission donor?
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I'm not sure how the transmission is controlled in an auto Baleno. Personally, I only have experience with wiring a manual coil pack baleno into a car running a three speed auto. (which went fine) I can't comment on whether an auto baleno computer will run normally (As in won't throw codes) with a manual behind it.

I'd also consider asking on Auszookers. I'm sure someone has wired an auto baleno motor/computer into a manual sierra on there.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
davidsuzuki

Post by davidsuzuki »

Pretty stoked,
Just bought a '99 manual trans Baleno with 130,000 on it. It's the type with twin coil packs on the cam cover.
What do you guys think about the thermostat problem?? Is it best to go with the right angle thermostat housing from a swift, or as BenT was saying get a Jimny intake maninfold. According to him, the Jimny intake manifold allows mounting of the thermostat in a higher position toward the front of the engine (as it is with a Sierra) which somehow reduces the formation of air pockets in the cooling system.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

If you can source a jimny manifold and get the baleno throttle body etc to bolt to it that is the easiest path. The rear mounted thermostat housing is a pain.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

i agree the rear thermostat is quite difficult and shit